1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

?'s about turboing 99 RT

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:09 PM
roush24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s about turboing 99 RT

Ok so I have a 99 neon rt and I am thinking about putting on a turbo kit (cheapy from ebay). The car is going to be a race car only on the dirt also. I was wondering what all I need other then the basic kit to make it work correctly w/o blowing up. My main concern is with the computer. Won't I need to get a aftermarket computer or something? Can I use a mopar performance computer? Im trying to get everything for as cheap as I can so I would rather not go with the afx although i know they are the better choice. Also I think that I will have to upgrade the fuel pump and the injectors. Im open to suggestions on the fuel pump (remember that Im trying to do it cheap now) and Can i just get a set of stratus injectors ? Not sure if they were bigger then the RT model neon or not. I plan on living the ignition stock I believe i will be alright in that department.

If I have left anything out or anyone has any other suggestions please chime on in.

Also what is the compression ratio of a stock 99 RT ? I dont want to run much boost I was thinking about 5 psi. Does that sound like to much for a completely stock engine? Also if anyone knows where I could get the Mopar performance computer (if that will work) I believe someone said before on here that they were like $214 ??? But I do not know where so that would also be helpful information.

Also here are the kits I am looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V-BAN...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by roush24; 01-02-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:07 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

getting a performance PCM will make it harder to tune since the advanced ignition timing tends to cause ping. youll need a map clamp for the OEM PCM doesnt see boost.

kinda like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories

if thow are your only choices i would pick the first. the second one isnt even v band , and the first one says 420a.

COMP ratio on DOHC is 9.6;1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Neon_engine#2.0

Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a sticky up top that has a list of parts for a turbo kit that ran under $1000.
saftely you can run about 8psi on a stock motor

Old 01-03-2009, 07:33 PM
roush24

Cool thanks for the input so far guys. keep it coming!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 PM
berretta96
Professional

stratus injectors are 19 lbs/hr just like neons. I used a "missing link" rather than a map clamp but I don't have a preference. Use your stock PCM. upgrade your injectors to 24 lb injectors OR BIGGER. You can buy a walbro 255 liters per hour pump for around $100 shipped but a cheap alternative for a low boost car is to use a used SRT-4 pump. Read on the spool boy mod.

BTW: I have 24 lb injectors and a Rising RATE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR (known as RRFPR or Fuel Management Unit "FMU") both for sale PM me if you're interested.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:24 AM
spudsterier
Legend

if your planning on only running about 5 pounds of boost, then you dont need bigger injectors, the stock ones work perfectly

Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM
roush24

Originally Posted by berretta96
stratus injectors are 19 lbs/hr just like neons. I used a "missing link" rather than a map clamp but I don't have a preference. Use your stock PCM. upgrade your injectors to 24 lb injectors OR BIGGER. You can buy a walbro 255 liters per hour pump for around $100 shipped but a cheap alternative for a low boost car is to use a used SRT-4 pump. Read on the spool boy mod.

BTW: I have 24 lb injectors and a Rising RATE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR (known as RRFPR or Fuel Management Unit "FMU") both for sale PM me if you're interested.

Oh ok I thought the stratus and cirrus had 24lb injectors. I thought thats why I always see them for sale on ebay...thought they were for an upgrade to the neon. So what cars use 24 lb injectors then? And does anyone know where I can get the walbro 255 pump for $100?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:39 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

You can buy them from accel, Ebay. You will need a wideband to tune it with injectors and rrfpr. You dont have to, but if you dont want to blow it up..... Get one. My car laster 2 months with no actual tune. On 10-12psi. 13 cracked a piston. I am working on trying a "afc" hack on the neon I am boosting now. Hope to get a better a/f ratio.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
spudsterier
Legend

if you want larger injectors, try to find a stock set from a 98 eclipse gsx...but as i said before, bigger injectors are not at all necessary for under 8psi

Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 AM
mmench
Captain

stock stage 0 injectors from a 03 srt4 will work to.. the flow a hell of a lot more fuel then you will need by far but they do work. you will need to do the spoolboy mod or atleast run an inline pump after the stock regulator. i am running 10-12 pounds at 11.8 falling to 11.0-10.8 AFR's still on stock internals. even once i ran ran up to 22 pounds by accident( turned WGA the wrong way)... well it was at 22 pounds when i let off and it probly woulda pegged my 30# gauge if i hadnt noticed. srt turbos spool fast

Quick Reply: ?'s about turboing 99 RT