1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

oil pressure sending unit plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Puhn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure sending unit plug

What is the trick for getting the electrical plug off of the oil pressure sending unit? I've been wrestling with the @#$! thing for over an hour and it will not budge! I figured out that there is a clip that must be completely pulled out from above. I managed to do that while lying under the car. Of course, the clip broke. To get the other piece out, I broke off part of the actual electrical green plug. I can ever so slightly get it to wiggle but it will not slide at all. I can get a screwdriver to start to wedge between the green plug and the sending unit but I can't even force it to move like that. If I apply much more pressure, I'll completely break that little green plug.

Help!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:14 PM
kabuk1
Professional

I've done this same repair & as farr as I remember mine came right out after much wiggling. go at it from above the engine & check to make sure you have all the clips unclipped, I seem to remember there being 2. other than that im not sure what advice I could offer other than to maybe try some wd-40 & keep wiggling. if its the original sending unit its probably got 10+ years of dirt & gunk built up in it.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Puhn

Originally Posted by kabuk1
I've done this same repair & as farr as I remember mine came right out after much wiggling. go at it from above the engine & check to make sure you have all the clips unclipped, I seem to remember there being 2. other than that im not sure what advice I could offer other than to maybe try some wd-40 & keep wiggling. if its the original sending unit its probably got 10+ years of dirt & gunk built up in it.
Thanks for the reply. After my earlier post, I did try taking off the air cleaner box to see if I could get at it from above and it was much easier. But, I still couldn't get it to budge. It does feel like there is still a clip on it somewhere. Part of the problem is that I can't get a good look at it. Does anyone have a pic of this green plug?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:33 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Hey, did you remove the red lock tab???

Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Puhn

Today I stopped by the local dealership and had them show me what a brand new green plug looks like so I could see what I needed to do to get the little bugger off.

It turns out that you not only have to pull out the little red locking tab but also squeeze the green plug to unlock a secondary locking mechanism (there's kind of a teeter-totter plastic part attached that needs to be sqeezed). Once I had that information, it was a piece of cake to get it off.

Of course getting the actual oil pressure sending unit replaced was more work; mainly because the new one that I got from AutoZone didn't quite fit in the socket that they sold me. I had to file the edges of the sending unit so it would fit in the socket. What a pain.

Anyway, hopefully this will take care of at least one of my oil leaks and the occasional oil light coming on.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:18 AM
kabuk1
Professional

Was your oil pumping out the back of the sensor like a heartbeat? Mine was. I was losing a quart every 2 weeks. My oil light was coming on at idle too. New sensor fixed it just fine

Old 01-11-2009, 01:05 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Yep yep. Its on the pressure side so when it leaks, IT LEAKS. Yea watch out for the red locker tabs. There are on more sensors around the car.

Quick Reply: oil pressure sending unit plug