1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

no start after running out of gas and refueling

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question no start after running out of gas and refueling

my car was low on gas and parked on a hill, so when i went to start it back up it stalled soon after it started. so i had someone continueously spray carb cleaner in the tb while i drove it up to the garage. i put it on the lift and did a lot of welding to my new exhaust. after i was done i put about 2 gallons of gas in it and sprayed carb cleaner again to get it to start and i started it and it ran for a few seconds then stalled and couldn't get it to start back up ever since. while trying to restart it, it backfired through the exhaust once and several times it hissed and it sprayed carb cleaner up through the open throttle body. could i have fried the computer by doin all the welding without disconnecting the battery? but it did start for a couple seconds after the weldin??? or did i just not put enough gas in it?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:42 PM
neongreen

probably... that happened to my jeep and its been in the shop for like 2 months

Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 PM
neongreen

well i take that back sorry. my jeep just cranked and cranked no matter what i did. finally the day i was gonna trailer it home, i tried to crank it one more time. and boom a pop and there went my comp. try taking off your battery cables and cutting off the wire thats exposed. then clean the terminals and everything really good and attatch it with fresh wire

Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I doubt it was welding? Check to see if your getting fuel now, pull off your fuel line and check. If no gas is in there, Hit your fuel tank with a hammer and then try to start it. Otherwise check ur fuel pump fuse. Did you put gas in it?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

Okay how cold is where you are? Have you put in gasline anti-freeze in your tank? You need to keep your car in a garage and keep it warm like 40* and try some gasline antifreeze like Heet, or Isoheet. When your tank gets too low, water can get in the lines and freeze stopping the fuel flow.

That goes for all of us, we all need to keep our tanks over half-full and throw in Heet every other fill-up. (I use wal-mart brand)

Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

If the car turns over enough to backfire, then you have battery power, and spark, you are only lacking in fuel. The same thing happened to my friends car when I was in college, we added Heet to the tank and it started right up, sometimes it works instantly despite the ambient air temperature.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 PM
justinsanders
Captain

thanks alot guys i actually found out what the problem was. my spark plugs were fouled out. i removed them and the carb cleaner was all over the plugs. i shoulda checked that first before posting this. but its all perfect now

Quick Reply: no start after running out of gas and refueling