1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Neon bogs down turning left...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Undercooked emu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon bogs down turning left...

Every time I take a left turn somewhat sharp the car bogs down to idle and then when I straighten the wheel out it snaps out of it. Don't think it's fuel pump related, doesn't matter if the tanks full or almost empty. I'm thinking there could be a problem with the steering rack??? Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:41 PM
streetracer88
All Star

One of your belts could be loose

Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Undercooked emu

Thanks for the reply, but I don't see any way that a loose belt would cause loss of power while turning. Maybe it would cause my power steering to go out and then be tough to steer, but not lose power. Maybe if you could explain your reasoning a little more in depth? Thanks anyways

Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
streetracer88
All Star

the belt could loosen up when your turning there for causing your belt to slip and you wont have much power as thats what was happening with my camaro at one time then i replaced the belts and havent had a problem with it since.....if that doesnt answer it there is alot of neon experts on here that will pick up whatever i missed

Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Grahampham

Did you ever find the answer? My kids Neon was doing the same thing. I thought it may be a clogged fuel pump screen and when the car makes the turn there is less pressure from the gas in the tank on the pump so less fuel gets through the screen. I had to remove it once before and clean it a couple of years ago. I was going to drop the tank and check but now the car developed a loud knock from the engine and will no longer start????

Old 09-19-2012, 06:55 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

This is a touchy subject. If the car feels like its stopping itself or binding it could be a transmission or axle problem. If the feels like it has less power when turning, then it could be related to the power steering system since the power steering pump runs off the power of the motor. Create another thread with the knocking issue so it doesn't get mixed in.

Quick Reply: Neon bogs down turning left...