1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

I hate exhaust problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:22 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post I hate exhaust problems

Ok so my girlfriends neon has two issues (damn good for 168k mi and counting). It has a small oil leak and an exhaust leak. The oil leak isnt to bad so its not a huge issue but I would like to fix it. The exhaust on the other hand will keep it from being inspected. It sounds like its coming from the cat or a clamp (ghetto patch maybe?) about 8-10in back from the cat.

Any suggestions for fixing these? Are these common problems that are easy to fix? I know cars tend to have recurring issues, thats why I ask

Old 02-23-2009, 11:28 AM
GLXRustang
Professional

This is the first I have heard about it, theres no flex to go bad and no joints behind the cat. Only thing to do is to jack it up and climb under while the car is running to pinpoint the leak. Then, cut the section out and weld in a new piece of pipe.

The same for the oil leak, oil usually falls straight down unless it hits something first. So check it out. If its coming from the back of the motor, it might be the dreaded oil sender leak which is a common problem.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:34 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

how bad is the oil sender to fix? you dont make it sound good lol

Old 02-23-2009, 09:35 PM
sabin420
Captain

I have that problem. It means the engine has to be pulled and the bottom end rebuilt. But mine's a bad leak...it squirts a thin, steady stream out the back of the motor.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

ok that sounds like a bad time! whats involved in rebuilding the bottom end? I dont know as much as I want about motor internals

Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

no way, if its the sender, you need to check with engine running, just replace the sender with one of those sockets from autozone. You have to remove the air box, the exhaust shield and unplug it, then remove and replace. Not too bad.

For the exhaust, if you can't weld it, just use exhaust clamps

Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 PM
streetracer88
All Star

if you got a oil leak it could just be the oil pan gasket as all neons have the same problem with oil pan seals as i have to replace mine and thats simple and as far as a exhaust leak after the car has higher mileage they tend to get a exhaust leak as mine did as well so dont assume the worst it could just be simple stuff and start with the least expensive/hard stuff first or you could be getting yourself into something your car doesnt even need

Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

my mechanic (awesome I might add) is looking at it thurs. If the exhaust is what I think it is he will weld it for me. I cant weld and dont have any of the things Id need to do it. The oil leak will wait til its inspected and I do some other basic maintenance like plugs and dist cap.

Thanks for the info everyone, Ill defiantly check out the oil leak better in a bit. Ya know when its warmer

Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 PM
streetracer88
All Star

yah i hear ya i had to replace my starter on my camaro in the freezing cold when it was snowing not fun at all you get to frustrated when your cold and have snow blowing in your face but i had no choice and replaced it as that was my only car to drive lol....sometimes you got to make sacrifices and freeze to do something major like that lol...but lil oil leak can wait but let me know if i was right on the oil pan gasket if you dont mind thanks

Old 02-25-2009, 04:20 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

lol ill do my best to remember, its not my strong suit! i remember my girls b-day and thats bout it. i have lotsa notes lol

Quick Reply: I hate exhaust problems