1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

fuel pump? Crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump? Crank but no start

I put 650 miles on my 99 neon expresso (Went to Aurora IL and back) on saturday, filled it with 91 octane, and then parked it for 2 days. I averaged 38mpg, with the cruise set between 70mph and 80mph. Today (monday) I went out to start my car, and it would crank and crank, and wouldnt start.
I stopped cranking, and left the key in the run position. I pressed the valve on the fuel rail, and nothing came out. I thought that it was supposed to have pressure even with the engine off, and key on... I then put my foot under the fuel tank, and kicked it gently a few times (about the same kick you give a drunk person to see if they're alive)...
Tried it again, and it started and ran fine. I took it to my destination, and it started there fine. On the way back, I went WOT through 2nd gear, and all was well (no stalling or anything)

I've allways had to crank it for about 3-5 seconds before it will start since I've owned it. I did plugs/wires when i bought it about 5k miles ago (accell split fire and grenilichelli wires, however you spell that)

I'm thinking it's the fuel pumps way of saying I'm tired of being in a neon for 163k miles... Right?

Also, an OEM pump/sending unit is around $230, should I do the wallbro 255? I need reliable, I've only got an UDP, motor mount inserts, and a semi solid bobble strut. I'll do a CAI and a mopar computer eventually, but not planning on going turbo...

Tks for your time, suggestions are appreciated
~Nate

Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM
sabin420
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does sound like your fuel pump. engine off, key on, it's supposed to have pressure. I went w/ the Wallbro 255 when mine went out just cause it was cheaper. You got to be prepared to do some wiring and modifying to your current fuel pump if you want to go that way...Cheaper, haven't noticed any performance improvement till i installed an adj. fuel pressure regulator.

Quick Reply: fuel pump? Crank but no start