1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

PS pump noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
ldiablo233
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS pump noise

So my PS seems to want to make lots of noise at idle. If I turn the wheel(standing still) it goes away. The reservoir has fluid in it so what can cause the noise? I flushed out most of the old fluid but taking one line off and spinning the wheel and turn the steering wheel. I also changed the pump, but its not a new one.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

I had the same issue this winter... What kind of PS fluid are you using? I sucked the res dry a few times, and kept replacing it with the cheap store brand stuff with leak stopper until it came out the same color as the new stuff. I still had the same issues. I changed the pump, and again had the same issues. I flushed the fluid again, same issues. At this point I've used like a gallon of PS fluid...

Well i got sick of doing that, so i left it alone for a while. I saved the old fluid in the container, and after a night of it being outside it was like LUCUS crap...

Got it nice and warm in a heated garage, flushed it again with straight valvoline stuff (no leak stopper), and the noise went away...

~Nate

Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 PM
ldiablo233
Professional

Can't remember the brand, it was from advanced but it wasn't advanced brand(might have been valvoline also, I'll check the bottle in the morning). I'm not sure how to completely clean out the PS system and no way am I overpaying a shop to do something simple. How can I get it fully cleaned out, and what would one suggest for good brand PS fluid?

Also, it was like 60 degrees out when I flushed it so wasn't cold.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

Buy a suction pump (think big soap dispenser) Jack up the front tires so they're barly off the ground. Stick the pump all the way down the power steering fluid reservoir, and suck out all of that fluid into a clear container (IE mikes hard lemonade bottle). You'll get like 8oz out per suction.
Fill the reservoir to a bit below the top, turn the wheels ALMOST lock to lock a few times (like 5 or so). This circulates the fluid. Pump the fluid out again, and keep repeating this till it comes out clean. It will take a few quarts...

You might have a bad pump too. A reman costs like 77 bux
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ing%20fluid___

~Nate

Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 PM
en00be

Originally Posted by Nates_expresso
Buy a suction pump (think big soap dispenser) Jack up the front tires so they're barly off the ground. Stick the pump all the way down the power steering fluid reservoir, and suck out all of that fluid into a clear container (IE mikes hard lemonade bottle). You'll get like 8oz out per suction.
Fill the reservoir to a bit below the top, turn the wheels ALMOST lock to lock a few times (like 5 or so). This circulates the fluid. Pump the fluid out again, and keep repeating this till it comes out clean. It will take a few quarts...

You might have a bad pump too. A reman costs like 77 bux
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/partlist_P.S.-Pump_251_R|GRP60016__power%20steering%20fluid___

~Nate

This works i did it to mine and it was all better

Old 04-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

I had some nasty looking fluid come out when I did mine, and there were black particles also... No good...

~Nate

Quick Reply: PS pump noise