1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 Relay circuit and wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM
lexxerd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 98 Relay circuit and wiring

The above diagram shows the wiring of the relay to the fuse, ground, and power.

The initial problem I am having is the radiator fans not coming on with or without ac/heat. I have hot wired the fans to the battery and they both spin up just fine. I have tried a number of configurations as well. I have used the output ground from the relay and the hot from the battery, which works fine. I have used the ground from another location and the hot from the battery which also works fine. When the car is off the output voltage of the relay to the fans is about 11V (I assume this is so the fans dont run while the car is off??) When the car is on, the output voltage from the relay is 13V (pin 3). I also have the CEL 35 for rad fan relay which also is telling me there is an issue somewhere, but where. I replaced the relay which made no difference. I have also changed the temp sensor to be sure that wasnt an issue. Im lost because the voltage of 13V should power these fans right up, but it doesnt. I can only assume once the fans are grounded and powered to the relay pin 3 the voltage is dropping or not staying with the load. I would think if that was the case the fans would at least spin for a second and cut off but they dont budge. Im out of ideas other than rewiring the pin 2 the wire that goes from the relay to the fuse box and I assume PCM. I dont want to have to run a manual switch to turn my radiator fans on and off but Im almost stuck with that option unless someone can give me some insight. I have also replaced the 30A fuse for the rad fan as well. Its starting to heat up outside and I really need to get this taken care of. Any information would be greatly apreciated.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:47 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt read what you said, but if you did a engine harness or pcm swap on ur car, then you will need to change the pins around for the radiator fan. For example. My car is a 96, I used a 98 ecu and my fans will never work, I cant sit or it overheats. Once I change the pins or get a 96 ecu my fans will work again.

Quick Reply: 98 Relay circuit and wiring