1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Tie rod end removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 PM
ldiablo233
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod end removal?

I got the end off the wheel assembly, but for getting it of the tie rod itself, do I turn the locking nut(on the tie rod) clockwise or counterclockwise?

I figured its an opposite clockwise thread??

Also do I even need to budge the nut to remove the end or just remove the tie rod end by itself??If so what size is the tie rods flat spot?

Old 04-24-2009, 12:20 AM
JKONKS

I think its standard direction as far as threads go. Good luck when I replaced mine I had to cut the tie rod ends off, they were to frozen to turn. Oh and yes you would have to losen the nut first

Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Nates_expresso
Professional

Look at the threads... speciflcily the end by the inner tie rod. You will beable to tell which dircetion they go.

If it is an OEM type, the nut has a cone on the end of it, and it crushes the ends of the threads on the tie rod end together (make sence?) It will need to be removed and replaced with the one provided with your new part.

HEAT IS YOUR FRIEND!!! Red hot is the best from an oxy setup. Next best is MAPP. If you dont have acess to either of them, give up, and take it to a shop. Our shop charges $24.99 for outer tie rod installation. You need an alignment anyways, so it saves tire wear anyways.

COUNT THE TURNS IT TAKES TO REMOVE THE OLD TIE ROD END TO GIVE A GENERAL IDEA HOW FAR YOU NEED TO TURN IN THE NEW ONE!!!

Lord help you if your backup wrench falls off the inner tie rod end. I had 6 degres total toe out... Not good...
~Nate

Quick Reply: Tie rod end removal?