1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

automatic trans serous problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 PM
rayraydoet
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic trans serous problems

my trans today shot out the pinion retaining pin and punched a hole in the case. i also got 2 bAD wheel bearing.soo where the hell can i get that little pin? i cant find it any where. any one have any sugjsttions? and does any one no why the pin sheared off like the pinion main pin was spining freely and it shouldnt. whe n i spin tire in netrul the pinion shaft spins as u spine the tire and while the spider gears are spinig. is thiis wat cause the pin to shear off inside because that pin is stationary and for sum reason when i hit 8 psi it snaped broke it and spun freely now what should i do get a home made one ade out of cromoly? get it made? or thread it and put and arp stud or bolt in it and loctite it with safty wire and maybe a head lock that folds and holds the bolt

Old 04-27-2009, 10:26 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

thats the way differentials work open diffs anyway. Do you mean the cross pin that goes into the carrier? Damn that spells doom for any power plans I had. Thats a big issue with doing burnouts and wheel spins is that it wears that little cross pin down. That pin is hardened, (or should be) you need to go to the junk yard for a new carrier. but they might not agree to it, they prolly want you to buy the whole transmission. Bad news my friend, bad news.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

www.car-part.com is seriously your friend...

Manual trans for around $150... Perfect time to do a swap, dontcha think? Auto trans can be had on the forum for cheap from swappers...
~Nate

Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 AM
rayraydoet
Professional

well this automatic is worked it has trans rebuild kit and biger drums all new bands manaul valve body and hi stall converter. i cant jus buy a new retaining pin? the hold is fix ible. i drove home with it leaking oil i made it home it was runing fine so realy its just a pin and the hole if anthing ill jb weld the hole shut and have a pin made up hardened chromoly so that thing wont break again think that will do it? or may be that spiral diff pin maybe comes with a new retaining pin possibly. i also wantto fix the 1 wheel burn outs any ideas maybe ill just weld my diff solid then i dont need a retaining pin ahaha that will work then ill need a new carrier ahh do they sell a sweet 2 way limited slip for the auto??

Old 04-28-2009, 04:11 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

the neon autos are pretty well known for kick that pin right out of the tranny case as happened with yours... my buddy had the same thing happen to his old sohc auto neon twice... both times ended up getting another tranny... and his car was pretty much stock except for an air intake and exhaust... as far as and lsd diff for the autos i'm thinking your pretty much out of luck...

Old 04-28-2009, 09:49 AM
GLXRustang
Professional

go with a helical LSD, look up 420a LSD on Ebay there the same as the manuals, so if you do alot of burnouts you'll all sucomb to the same fate..

Read this short section by Hahn racecraft on their 11 sec neon

http://www.turbosystem.com/auto/tech/info.htm

Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

nice i didn't figure the diff would be the same auto to manual as most cars are not... thats pretty sweet though and that will deff solve the issue...

Quick Reply: automatic trans serous problems