1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

5spd trans swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:48 PM
reaperof_evil
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5spd trans swap problems

ok so we gt the ca dont and drivable but the speedo does not work the tail lights stay on and the car wont start i cuz the 3 prong plug from the auto trans and wired them all together just to get the car running bt we can drive it for alittle and it wll shut off and blow out the tail light bulbs if i take the reverse bulb the car will not start i need to know how to fix these problem as soon as i can since inspections coming up soon so help me out guys thanks also the switch on the back of the tranny that has the plastic gear i took the one from my auto trans because the plug was different but i used the auto gear could that be why my speedos not working? if you need anymore details ask i want t get it fixed soon

Old 05-04-2009, 05:17 PM
reaperof_evil
Veteran

i need to get it fixed asap i heard to ground the middle wire on the 3 wire plug but what do i do with the other wires and where do i ground it to ????? also i put my speed sensor i guess the sensor with a plastic gear from my auto to my 5spd tranny should i pull it back out and put the 5spd gear on it would that be the cause of my speedo not working??

Old 05-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Jyro

Put the white (5-speed) speedo pinion in the trans, the green (auto) speedo pinions diameter is not big enough to touch the gear on the diff. This will fix your speedo. Yes GROUND the middle wire to the chassis. Any where you can get it to screw to the frame or fender or batt if you want. The 3 way connector is the nuetral safety and reverse light switch connector. The purple w/ a black stripe is your reverse light wire. Now I will tell you that by grounding the middle wire the car will engage the starter when turning the key even if your clutch pedal is not depressed. Essentially you will be able to start the car in gear.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:16 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Nice info! I will haft to remember that.

Quick Reply: 5spd trans swap problems