1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

modify stock clutch to 550hp???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:58 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modify stock clutch to 550hp???

i have a guy here that works on srt4s and he said if i give him my stock clutch he will have the pressure plate rebuilt to clamp at 2400 lbs over stock clamp at 1800 lbs and put in a 4 puck race disk. he said he can do this to even a modular clutch. he'll drill out the stock big rivets and when he's done building it he'll tap the flywheel and bolt it all back together and it'll still work with the stock flex plate. for $450. is this possible or will it work right?

Old 07-05-2009, 03:31 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Well. I would not mess with it. Modular clutches are not made to come apart, so I would never try. I use a modular centerforce thats rated for about the same amount of power. How much is this guy trying to charge you? Considering hes puting in a new clutch, why dont you just buy a modular or non modular yourself, it would be the same thing. Keep in mind modular clutches bolt up using the atx flexplate and bolts, non-modular uses different bolts and no flexplate.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by I_Ride_Neon
... why dont you just buy a modular or non modular yourself, it would be the same thing.
This

Non modular is they way to go for anyone planning to make some power. Ultimately cheaper too.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 PM
justinsanders
Captain

ok ill just get a non modular clutch then. now say i buy a non modular clutch of modern. what all do i need to get to do the conversion. do i need to get a 1995 neon mtx flywheel? or 1996-2003? no flex plate correct?

Quick Reply: modify stock clutch to 550hp???