1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

run fuel return line through the evap hard line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:35 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default run fuel return line through the evap hard line?

i have realized that i must get a rrfpr and make a return line. i was under my car today and realized that the evap canister is fed by a hard line like the fuel feed and brake lines. i was wondering if i could use that line as a return. and dont shoot me down if you aren't positive that it wont work. also i was thinkin about runnin the return right into the tank somewhere instead of the top of the canister this way i wont have to modify the canister other than to bypass the stock regulator. again please dont just tell me that it wont work unless it really wont for some reason honestly i really dont see y i wouldnt be able to do this.

and i dont really need to run the return in the top to cool the fuel pump right? i mean it is soaked in gas most of the time and gas is being pumped up through it all the time.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Moparmatt440
Veteran

I bought the queasy from ptp, and it replaces the stock fpr and just returns the fuel back onto the pump, it just slides in. Which fpr were you looking at? I have the mallory race one and its great, plus a whole lot cheaper then the aeromotive one, does the same thing. I also ran a block hose, as strong as the stainless steel one but way lighter and easyer it install the fittings.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Do not use the evap, its not big enough, and with a return setup you want the fuel to directly dump the fuel onto the fuel pump itself. It does work to cool the pump and keep it from running dry. A hard line will work for the return, But I would make the return bigger then the feed. Mine is 5/8's hose rated for 250psi. If you are boosting you NEED to by-pass the regulator, depending if you have a metal or plastic tank it will vary. Just google "spoolboy mod"

Old 08-04-2009, 09:08 PM
justinsanders
Captain

well then can i make my stock feed line be the return line and make the evap line be the new feed line?

or i can get another stock feed line from the junkyard so its bigger and make that my return line?

also i dont see y i need for the return line to run back on top of the fuel pump. i have a plastic tank but. i was told if i had a metal tank then i could drill and tap for a return line so that proves i dont need it to run into the canister. and y would it need to be cooled anyway its constantly sucking up gas and most of the time its submerged in gas.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 AM
justinsanders
Captain

i want to know what kind of rrfpr to use ive searched the forums and ebay and such and im lookin for either up to 4:1 or 6:1 rising rate. cuz i saw on a thread that spud said that for 8 psi you'll need around 120 psi of fuel on stock injectors but i have 24lb so i was lookin for a 4:1 rising rate and all the ones i've found are 1:1. so which regulator should i get and i cant spend too much...i wanna set my base pressure at 49 psi just like stock. then rise 4 psi for every 1 psi in boost.

o and by the way i dont need a larger fuel line return line than the evap. theres no pressure after the regulator going back to the tank it makes no sense for the return to be larger than the return.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Stock injectors are what 19's so your still going to need a lot of pressure for 24s. Good regulators usually come with tuning disc's to change the rate of gain under boost. A 1:1 will not give you the fuel you need. Walboro pumps are only good to around 90psi, and at that you will be sucking all the gas out of the canister and making the pump get warm from using it to its max efficiency (that's where fuel dump from the return on the pump comes in handy). Not to say when your going around right corners under load with low gas the pump will be dry. Just use a stock feed line for the return (get one from the junkyard or new). And it takes maybe 1 hour to pull the pump, spool boy mod it, and put it back in. Oh and you will need to do the math to find out your base fuel pressure, the bigger the injectors the less fuel pressure you will need at idle. Otherwise you will be running rich when driving it lightly and it may run a little choppy.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM
justinsanders
Captain

ok great man thanks alot you really helped me alot. im goin to the jy tomorrow to get a coolant overflow resivoir since mine got melted severely by the external wastegate and dump pipe. so ill pick up a stock fuel feed line while im there. now can anyone point me toward a decently priced rrfpr that will work for what i need or is anyone out there selling one??? it'd be greatly appreciated

Old 08-07-2009, 01:13 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Begi or chill factory. Both are rebuild able so find one used. Make sure you get the tuning disks and rings with it.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:42 PM
justinsanders
Captain

got me another stock fuel line from the jy. and the top peice of the canister as a spare. i cant find either a chill factory rrfpr or begi used anywhere. and there so expensive brand new. idk what else to do cuz im ready to do the spool boy mod but need a rrfpr first and i dont have 250 for a new begi.

Quick Reply: run fuel return line through the evap hard line?