1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

95 neon dies when braking at stop light.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:04 AM
atrocious
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 neon dies when braking at stop light.

So 3 days ago i had to brake hard because of a idiot merging and i came to a stop after getting off freeway. the car got to the stop and then died. i put it back into park and it kicked right over. went about 5 miles and it did it again. so the next day i went out on a drive for about 20 miles no problem until i started going home after car sat for about an hour. it then decided to die ever 3-4 lights and finally would not start i was about 5 blocks from home thank god but it would not start. so i got a tow truck to get me the rest of the way home. that night i checked my spark which was nice and blue. and im getting fuel pressure on the fuel rail? next i checked my lines and fluid in the brake system was a tad low. so i went got some brake fluid and went to bed.

Next day i got up car started no issues but the pedal felt mushy. so my question is do u think i got air in my lines? im not sure if that could be it or if my master cylinder or brake booster went bad? the car has had really bad idle unless i feather the gas and brake at times and wants to die at stop lights still. im lost on what to do next. this is my familys only car and i dont got much money to waste since bieng laid off this year and struggling PLEASE HELP any advice is very much appreciated.

I also checked the brake booster control valve and its good.and its throwing no codes at all.PLEASE HELP

Old 08-13-2009, 12:12 PM
atrocious

Bump

Please someone help i need this car running and cant figure this out. someone throw some ideas at me please!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

A car needs three things to run:
1. Spark
2. Air
3. Fuel

You have no codes you say, so this is something that does not throw codes. Crank position sensor, ignition coil going out, vaccum leak, fuel pump going out, clogged fuel filter, or something else. Is the car stock? Any recent work done? Is the neon kept up, or just ok? Let's get going.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
atrocious

I got spark nice and blue on the ends of my wires. fuel rail is getting gas i do not got the tool to test how much pressure its actually pushing but i am getting gas to the fuel rail. and as for air im not sure how to test it but my air filter is less then 2 months old and i checked for vaccum leaks with starter fluid i think it was and could not find any. but i have no help so i had to use a rubberband to hold throttle down and spray myself and have my 11yr old boy watch the rpms he said he did not see any fluctuation in rpms. also i listend to no avail.

im not sure about the ignition coil i will check that today. im not sure how to test it much more thouroughly then checking its getting spark im not that good of a mechanic. any tips?

and yes no codes whatsoever. im truly lost i cleaned my throttle body out also. can i clean out my idle air control valve somehow? i was told that could be the problem.

car get stuff fixed when needed and i stay ontop of oil changes etc the mileage is off so its hard to follow what needs done when. i got the car from a guy for 400$ after my honda accord was hit and wrecked.

things done are these

recent tranny filter and gasket replaced along with fluid.was leaking also
oil changed new filter and gasket as it was leaking
crank sensor
02 sensor
speed sensor
water pump
timing belt
used radiator out of junk yard.mine had hole in it.
inspected all my belts all look very nice no cracking and teeth look great.
new brake pads and all lines were bled thouroughly.
All done within the last 6 months

I dunno what to say im guessing its my brake booster or my idle air control valve. Please help bro. yes car is totally stock. not even a cold air intake.

Last edited by atrocious; 08-13-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: few mistakes
Old 08-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Could be a faulty harness. Have there been any changes in the car's behavior in the past few months? Stalling? Surging idle? Problems starting? Check engine light ever come on? WHen you try to start the car is just cranks...what do the plugs look like? You said there is spark? Hmmm. What do you get when you check for codes? Should just get 55.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
atrocious

i have not noticed any difference until that day i had to brake hard and then bam car started dieing at stop signs and now its just bieng a total piece of ****. very frustrated with this to say the least. and its not throwing any codes at all.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 PM
atrocious

Welp replaced the brake booster and master cylinder dident do **** to help my problem dodge dealership sucks ***** also cant figure it out. and no help from here im a just leave it at this.

Dont buy dodge non stop problems and people dunno wtf theyre even talking about or doing when working on these. Enough said Viking Funeral for this piece of ****. Youll get more info from there then this ****ty *** forum!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:35 AM
Nikki24

Hey I would like to mention that my 95 Neon is doing the same thing. Sometimes when I brake at a traffic light or stop sign or even the speed bumps at my apt complex my car stalls. It takes about 3 times for it to finally stay on. I'm afraid my starter will die out soon. Anyway, I thought it was the throttle because mine was loose. But I fixed that and it still stalls from time to time. I know it's not the coil pack or the Throttle Position Sensor because I get no check engine light.

This issue is not consistent. It stops doing it for a couple months and then it starts up again for a couple months. I'm not to sure what it is but if you said that you took it to Dodge and they couldn't even find the problem then the only thing I could say is try to manage with the problem. That's what I'm doing cuz I have no money either and I can't afford another car.

And for the record you are right about how ****ty this car is. I have so many problems with it and no one can tell me how to fix them. But all in all, it's still running and it takes me from point A to point B. God bless my Neo. (that's her name). LoL

Old 09-22-2009, 05:33 PM
atrocious

My car wont even start now LoL. after replacing brake booster it ran for 3 days and died cannot get it to start now and im getting no spark and displaying code 11 which says no signal from pcm timing belt skipped a tooth or my camshaft/crankshaft sensor went bad. camshafts less then 6 months old. cam is moving so i take it timing belts fine and crankshaft was replaced with one outta junkyard and still no help. i am next checking pulse at injectors with noid connector to rule out my PCM bieng bad.

Anyone got ideas WTF else i can do to test these things. Im not getting any spark outta coils resistance on the coilpack is fine also so i know its not that. PLEASE HELP about to go insane working on this damn thing!

Old 09-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Did you neon never idle high in traffic? Could be a vaccum leak.

It is also possible the cam gear skipped a tooth. What type of tensioner are you using? the stock unit? Are you sure the cam was dead nuts on when you replaced the timing belt? Take no insult, but can you tell me the location of the crank sensor you replaced? Want to make sure we are on the same page with that.

Quick Reply: 95 neon dies when braking at stop light.