1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

3.94 trans and dohc computer

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:40 PM
dohc97neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well this neon never has reved as hard as my past ones, it seems as though something is holding it back, and i can't figure it out. though it might have been the stock muffler and intake which i changed and it helped alot but from my knowledge i remember my old sohc producing more power up higher in rpms, this one goes right to 6000 in 3rd gear say, then im just waiting for it to creap to the limiter and i have no idea why, bad oxygen sensor? cause im getting a code but dont know which oxygen sensor cause im only using the key dance.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dohc97neon
the only reason that i put the dohc computer in was to eliminate my check engine light that is looking for a torque converter. i just found it weird that when reved up, it would make it to 7200. i know there is no reason to rev the engine this high, it usually runs out of power after 6000-6300 so there is no need to other than the fact of the way the tranny is geared thats in it now. hopefully the new tranny will fix that.
Just want to be clear about the revving. I know some are into "bouncing off the rev limiter" and such. There is a difference between having fun and being irresponsible.

A faulty 02 sensor is cetainly capable of cripling your performacne. The car is not running correctly, and should be doing so while pushing maximum power levels. Replace both 02 sensors is my advice. There are some parts store that can scan you car's pcm and find out exactly which 02 sensor is not doing its job. I strongly recommend a tune up and engine flush.

What modifications have you installed?

Old 09-04-2009, 05:52 AM
dohc97neon

i never take it right to the limiter when shifting, i always shift just before. some mods i have done are 3.0L intake, cherry bomb turbo muffler(stock was rotten and this was cheap) motor mount inserts, booger shift bushings, a/c and power steering delete.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

replacing the o2 sensor after the cat will not help performance its just there to check the function of the cat... so it being bad won't hurt performance.... the front O2 sensor is the only one that has anything to due with adjusting the amount of fuel going into the engine... something simple to check seen as it don't feel as strong as you other neons... check to make sure the throttlebody is opening all the way when you have the gas petal to the floor... its something that very often overlooked... i'm not saying this is your answer but if your going for performance its a good thing to check throttle cables stretch over time and eventually that leads to the throttlebody not opening all the way as it should... but deff if your getting a o2 sensor code start by replacing the front one and go from there... also before you run out and buy one just make sure the wire is still in good shape and hooked up i've seen a few neons have issues with this wire i've seen them melted, broke and rubbed to the point of shorting out on the chassis... but check the wire then if thats good replace the sensor...

Old 09-08-2009, 01:32 AM
1fast2liter
Captain

hmm sohc mopar ecu is 6800 redline afx ecu street strip and race are 7200.... the 3.94 is a good trans for all motor cars 3.55 was put in as a base trans and fuel econemy.. the acr's r/ts some sports and even base models got them some as a cheap upgrade.... yes switching the head to a sohc bottom would result in lower compression then even the stock dohc makes.... but a set of dohc pistons in a sohc motor will net higher compression.. some were in the 10-1 range. and bigger injectors will do nothing for power but run you pig rich..... your stock injectors on all bolt ons even cams will be enough for you.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:47 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

actually all dohc engines came with the 3.94 trans, the acr and r/ts having a .81(or something close to that) and the dohc sports coming with a .71(or something close to that) 5th gear... all sohc engines came with a 3.55 trans except for the sohc arcs.....

Old 09-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Not all sohc neon have the 3.55FD. Keep in mind the 2G mtx varies in final drive gears. The 2001-2002 non r/t neons have a 3.55FD with .81 5th gear. The 2003+ non r/t models have the same gear set as the 1G non r/t models. The 2G r/t is a sohc with the 3.94FD .81 5th gear.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

yes the 2nd gens are different... i think that they went to the lower final drive on the 2nd gens due to the added weight of the 2nd gens over the 1st gens

Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dohc97neon
i never take it right to the limiter when shifting, i always shift just before. some mods i have done are 3.0L intake, cherry bomb turbo muffler(stock was rotten and this was cheap) motor mount inserts, booger shift bushings, a/c and power steering delete.
Car looks pretty stock. Are you on a budget, or just not wanting much "performance?"

Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 PM
dohc97neon

i'm finishing my last year of high school and only work part time. I saved most of the summer to get my rear quarters painted along with other maintenance things such as tires and what not. i only had enough to do cheap mods for now. the diff pin just flew out through the side of the tranny that is in the car and now the 3.94 has to go in anyways, ill post on the results as far as how different the car feels taking off and what not

Quick Reply: 3.94 trans and dohc computer