1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

My first car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 04:25 AM
casper
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first car!

Those are also good mods. The pcm wil help, the bottom line is there is no one magic mod that will give you HP, you need a combination of them.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:26 AM
chud298
Record Breaker

Exactly not just decals, wheels and a huge exhaust tips. O wait those are ricers NVM; those don't count as combinations!!!

Old 03-31-2005, 01:26 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey! i have decals, wheels and a huge exhaust tip on the RT...[:@]

Old 03-31-2005, 01:37 PM
casper
Legend

Yeah but they are tastefully done. It doesn't look like it belongs on fast and furious

Old 04-01-2005, 07:50 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: casper

In my opinon:
brands are up to your preference and money

1st mods-
Cold air intake
Cat-back exhuast
Good plugs, MSD 8.5mm wires

2nd mods-
Suspension drop
Cam
Performance PCM
Throttle body
header
Motor mounts

3rd mods-
Turbo
NOS
port and polish
engine internals
well, not to really pick apart the mod list/order.. but itd be pointless to put a CAI on there, if you are just going to be replacing it with a turbo later on

now, as for my advice, first thing youll want to do of course, is decide right now which way you want performance from the car.. either by natural aspiration, or by forced induction (turbo/nitrous)
if you want forced induction, dont buy anything you wont need.. go straight for the boost parts.
if you want naturally aspirated.. heres what id recommend:

cold air intake. either the 3.0 intake setup, or the iceman intake. all depends on how nice you want it to look, and how much you want to spend.

underdrive pulley. nice bang for the buck on this mod.. which udp you decide on, truly will depend on how much youd prefer to spend. i like my mpx udp from modern performance myself.

throttle body. again, this depends on how much youd like to spend. you could step up to the 52mm atx tb for relatively cheap, or go straight for the 60mm mpx tb. if you plan on most of the bolt-ons, id recommend going straight for the 60mm tb.

muffler and header. the stock sohc muffler isnt known for flowing too well, so this is definately one of the first things id recommend changing. a very cheap alternative, would be a stock dohc muffler.. it can be had for like $10 if you look in the right places. of course, you can always go with an aftermarket muffler, and get an even better sound, and a little more power.. its all in how much you want to spend of course. after youve changed the muffler, id look into changing the header. cheap alternative header, would be the stock magnum exhaust header (i cant really call it a manifold, since its more like a header than manifold) which is pretty similar to the pacesetter short-tube headers really. but, if you want more power, look for something better (and more expensive) like the Kirk medium-length header (or TTI, but they call it a "long tube" when its more like a medium.. its a copy of the kirk) or something even better like an AFx long tube header (one of the few companies still producing long tube headers for the neon these days)

and next, would be the computer. you really can do this mod at any time, but i usually feel its best to have the rest of the boltons before it. ok, you might hear that a stock dohc ecu is a nice upgrade for the sohc. while yes, you will see some gains.. dont cheap out here. go straight for an aftermarket computer.. like the mopar performance ecu, or the afx race ecu. dont even bother with an afx street/strip ecu, as its nearly identical to the mopar, just at a much higher price.

those are the basics.. after that, youll be looking into changing the cam, head, port and polish work, internals.. etc.

other things i would recommend at any point in time:
upgrade the mounts. the stock motor and tranny mounts are just not meant for racing. for the front mount, and two sides, id recommend a "filled" mount like what Deyeme Racing offers (www.deyemeracing.com).. and for the torque strut (also called the bobble strut.. its the mount in the back of the engine that looks like a little shock) id recommend the Booger Racing solid bobble strut (www.boogerracing.com)

upgrade your shifter bushings! the stock shifter bushings are much like the motor mounts, weak. they get way too squishy over time, and make the shifter very sloppy. your only option here really, is the booger bushings from www.boogerracing.com (or you can pick them up from modernperformance.com as well)

i think thats a good list to start with

now, ya might notice i left out suspension. this of course, can be done at any time you wish. same with tires.. and if you plan on drag racing and/or autox racing, id probably say to look into that as one of the very first things you should do really.

plug wires - if your stock plug wires are working just fine.. you really dont need to replace them. they are good for up to around 250hp or so.. so if you dont neeed to change them, then maybe spend the money elsewhere. if you wanna change em, thats cool too, i wont stop ya just, stay away from APC and Nology wires. i personally run the Magnecor 8.0mm wires, and have had no problems with them. other good brands of wires are Crane Firewires, MSD, Accel, and even the Mopar Performance wires. i havent heard much about the wires from Taylor, so i cant really comment on them.

another thing you might notice i left out on this "list" is the stock exhaust piping. the stock piping is 2.25" in diameter.. and actually flows quite well, being that it is mandrel bent and a decent size. you really dont need to upgrade this piping until around 250hp as well, but many many poeple choose to do so whenever they change the muffler as well.. and with the 2.5" dynomax piping being relatively cheap ($75 or so) id also say to change it when you do the muffler.