1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

A little info please

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:32 PM
JKONKS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little info please

Hello all.
I have a 98 R/T that blew a timing belt a while back and im finely getting some time to play around with it. The question that I have is when I pull the head off for inspection and repair what other little things can i do or have done to it for that little extra edge. I dont want any thing wild but just a fun daily driver. I plan on doing CAI, ATB, and magnaflow exhaust. I curently drive a 04 sxt mtx that has a cai and magnaflow exhaust and I think it is going to hit the road this spring. Its a nice looking car but it still dont have the get up and go that the 98 had.
I did some looking around for parts and modern performance seems to have best deals I also found a place called Mizumo Auto on ebay do any of you have experience with them. Any input apreciated

Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

I would not know one after-market mod from another as I am not into that, but I can speak about Mizumo on eBay. That is the group I bought my rebuild kit from, and when I thought my oil pump was bad, they sent me another one - honoring the 90 day warranty without fault or fuss. If I need more parts - I will look to them first.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can port and polish the head and intake manifold. you can deck the head. I'm not sure how much though. I think either .04" or .004"

Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM
fsu182
Captain

mizumo seems ok for parts depending on what you get. I rebuilt a 2.0 with a set of their oversized stock replacement pistons, rings, and bearings. The car held up under 7500 RPM runs on a mopar PCM.

ATX TB, get a mopar PCM, make a CAI or buy an Iceman, and get a little header since you're in there. You can have fun, rev to 7600RPM, and outrun z24 cavaliers at least.

you probably need some new valves. so keep that in mind. Have your head checked at least to make sure it's true so that your new Head Gasket seals properly. Buy new head bolts because they are torque to yield. re-using old ones is Not reccomended.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

yeah a mild port and polish job and a decent 3 angle valve job would be worth while... also a set of aftermarket cams... don't go huge... adjustable cam gears help out a lil bit also if not for being able to adjust the timing but getting rid of a lil extra rotational weight is always a good thing.... keep in mind all of these things ain't going to add a ton of power but put them all together with basic bolt ons and the motor is deff going to be a lot happier!

Old 09-15-2009, 11:05 PM
JKONKS

thanks for the info guys I am all about a faster reving motor so I will have the head worked over maybe even new cams. Another Question even if my surface checks out fine would ther be any advantage from shaving and if so how much can I go.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

you will get a slight bump in compression... which again will add to all the other mods and give ya a slight advantage... i honestly wouldn't worry about it unless it needs to be redone... save that for if you ever pop a head gasket not saying you will but its always nice to know that you got that metal there when you need it... its the same reason i'm not a big believer in boring out an engine to the max diameter right off the bat... you don't usually gain that much in displacement so really not that much it power and then if something happens that you need to bore the engine out your looking for a new block....but it this case you deck the head to the max amount then if you pop a head gasket you'll be looking for a new head...

Old 09-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

At the risk of stating the obvious, you should really keep an eye on the condition of your timing belt. The could have been avoided.

With that being said, I would personally replace all the valves. I choose to polish all the valves in the heads I rebuild. Reduces the carbon build up, and aids air flow.Ferrea racing makes some for neons. Extremely lightweight and strong, to all your engine to do it's job better. A stronger valve spring is also an excellent upgrade. This would ensure your valves seat firmly under all driving conditions, to help reduce reversion. They are also needed when using after market cam shafts. Valve seal replacement is something to do while the head is off. Would suck to have the car start smoking a month after the head is back on. Have the head cleaned while you are at it. These are more important than any bolt on. If your neon does not operate properly under normal driving conditions, bolt ons really do not matter.

Invest some time in tuning. Many do not, and never really get the full potential from the dohc neon. If you cannot tune the car, bolt ons are just band aids for those lacking knowledge.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 PM
JKONKS

[quote=Ghost Neon 2;1805022]At the risk of stating the obvious, you should really keep an eye on the condition of your timing belt. The could have been avoided.

You know its funny you mentioned this. For starters this car has about 220k on it with the original timing belt that I knew had to be changed and kept putting it off and then I bought my sxt and I figured what a great winter project and of course winter came and then the father inlaws car broke down and he asked to borrow it, well I should have known better. I have riden with him before and he likes to rev hard while shifting. what do you know two days later I get a phone call Saying that my car made a funny ping noise and died mhen he was leaving his driveway yep I should have known better!!!

Old 09-17-2009, 03:10 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
With that being said, I would personally replace all the valves. I choose to polish all the valves in the heads I rebuild. Reduces the carbon build up, and aids air flow.Ferrea racing makes some for neons. Extremely lightweight and strong, to all your engine to do it's job better. A stronger valve spring is also an excellent upgrade. This would ensure your valves seat firmly under all driving conditions, to help reduce reversion. They are also needed when using after market cam shafts. Valve seal replacement is something to do while the head is off. Would suck to have the car start smoking a month after the head is back on. Have the head cleaned while you are at it. These are more important than any bolt on. If your neon does not operate properly under normal driving conditions, bolt ons really do not matter.
i didn't really say anything about replacing the valves cause i figured that what he was taking the head off for.. so i point out the other stuff he should and if your getting a 3 angle valve job done its an automatic replacement of the valve seals and guides... if a machine shop is willing to do a 3 angle valve job without replacing them they are not a machine shop you want to use....

Quick Reply: A little info please