Print Wikipost

Coolant Temperature Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:58 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onedollarpain
Besides the entire gauge cluster issue, after driving a few in-city miles, the temp gauge pegs max and sets off alarm. After 10-15 seconds, it stops and returns to normal. Would a new sensor unit correct this or is this part of the poor connections on the instrument cluster circuit board? Or a "bad ground" somewhere in the system? Hope to find a good tech in So. Oregon

My 2.4 swapped 98 R/T is doing this exact thing! I suspect the temp sensor is the problem, but my car hit a deer prior to me buying it so I have a few grounds that need replacing under the hood near the battery, so I'm not jumping to conclusions just yet.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:51 AM
onedollarpain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grounds,electric,NOT coffee

Yes, I still have a sense of humor. How many "grounds" can there be and how do I, or anyone find and test them all? I intend to have not only the sensor, but the thermostat replaced when I have the system flushed. Will keep you posted(bad pun??)...

Old 10-09-2014, 02:40 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onedollarpain
Yes, I still have a sense of humor. How many "grounds" can there be and how do I, or anyone find and test them all? I intend to have not only the sensor, but the thermostat replaced when I have the system flushed. Will keep you posted(bad pun??)...

I fixed my R/Ts issue yesterday that was similar to yours, honestly for years my original Neon has been missing probably half of its grounds it should have and NEVER had any issues, the main ground that causes problems is going to be the one that is located on the top radiator support in front of the battery, unplugged/broke it will cause your lights to flicker and it will also cause your temp gauge to go nuts. Trace that one verify its condition and weather you need to fix it or not. Also check the starter wires that they are not corroded or hanging on by a thread or less.

Quick Reply: Coolant Temperature Sensor