1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

new here, looking for some good knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:48 AM
chandlerdoom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking new here, looking for some good knowledge

i guess a little intoduction would be right for me to do first.

my names chandler, I live in central IL
my other car is a 00 audi S4 stg3,exhaust,coilovers. soon to be built w/rs6s

now the reason why im on this fourm is because of my 95 neon, dark green, 4door, auto, and just broke 79K miles tonight =]

only mods include a yakima roof rack w/bike/basket/snowboard attachments.

ive lurked here before in the past just to see whats up.
but i guess the sole reason why i am here is because i need info on boosting my neon. the neon is pretty slow and it could use more fast

so my questions are-
what turbo manifold should I use?
should I go with a srt4 turbo or another?
will the auto transsmission handle this? if not, where to look for building it?
injectors?
would I need a tune? plus how would it be done with the obI?
what downpipe should I use?
reliable?
how much of a HP difference should I expect?
how much would something like this cost?
what intercooler piping should I look at?
should I use a stock srt4 intercooler?
what other things would I need?

im not looking for alot of power, just simply the minimum.
I have my audi for power, and after I go rs6s with built motor im hoping for 550+ WHP on e85. so I dont need the neon to be fast at all.

I just want it to be turbo'd thats all. just something a little more fun than it is.

also some more questions.

have low can you go on coilovers? is their anything stopping the car from going too low?
how big of a wheel can you run? example 7x15 et 35

this is my DD and just looking to have some fun with it. the roofrack is a great addition to the overall look of the neon and I was thinking that some coilovers and some wide wheels would complete the look for this car.

thanks for anyone who can anwser some of my questions.

pics for clicks
Name:  3787936400_2e00313a5f_b.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  73.3 KB

Last edited by chandlerdoom; 10-24-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 AM
ottoretto
Professional

Hello chandler, im otto nice to meet ya bro, well i think i can give ya sum info about it
i gonna answer all ur questions in it order!!

- what turbo manifold should I use?
* if u can buy a dohc head, u can use the srt4 manifold, with that head and sohc internal u will lose compression ratio, so i can boost a lil bit more

- should I go with a srt4 turbo or another?
* if u get the srt4 manifold, it better if u get the turbo tough, its gonna be more easy the instalation, its will look like stock!

- will the auto transsmission handle this? if not, where to look for building it?
* the auto transmission can handle it if u not gonna be boosting a lot, but its better rebuild the transmission for evoid problems! the rebiuld kint its on mopar shop! not big deal

- injectors?
*u can use the srt4 inyectors, but if u wanna more power try to find some injectors with more cc`s

- would I need a tune? plus how would it be done with the obI?
* well always its good tune up the car, even if u gonna run with 5psi of boost, with five psi not tunned u can run without problem!

- what downpipe should I use?
*if ya buy srt4 turbo use the same downpipe

- how much of a HP difference should I expect?
* i saw a vid, running 5 psi of boost on a sohc neon, and deliver 170 whp so u see what u want! xD

- how much would something like this cost?
* well i dont know that answer, cuz i dont live in north america, but u dont gonna pass the 2000 us$

- what intercooler piping should I look at?
* aliminiun pipe cuz refresh better the air!

- should I use a stock srt4 intercooler?
* if u want tough, but i preffer some other intercooler!

- what other things would I need?
srt4 map sensor (if u gonna boost more than 10 psi), blow off valve, turbo timer (not expensive one), if u wanna tune up a megasquirt (its an ecu that remplace the stock pcm and its tottaly reprogramable it cost like 350 us$ and dont have to use srt4 map sensor), any other question ask and i will help ya

Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the auto trans will handle it just fine...its basically the same trans that came in the early 90's chrysler turbo cars anwyas...

the stock motor internals can handle 8-10 psi. and the stock injectors will work fine too...

srt4 turbo...srt4 downpipe.....would have to go DOHC though as the sohc exhaust manifold uses a different bolt pattern

you can easily just go with the cheap 2.5" intercooler piping from ebay...

srt4 intercooler works great...just need to trim out the radiator support a little..(i have an srt intercooler sitting in my shed if interrested)

to trick the pcm/obd II, all you need is a map clamp....you can find the cheap ones on the internet but most have to be adjusted which is a pain in the ***.....call HAHN RACECRAFT and get one from them...it cost $100, but well worth it....just splice in the wires and your ready to go no matter how much boost you run

there are many turbo options out there, but if you want a small turbo that can build you 10 pounds of boost by the time you hit 2500rps, then the srt4 turbo is the way to go.....

up on the top of the main page here in the 1st gen neon section there is a sticky about turbocharging your neon with the srt4 turbo....when i did it, the cost was under $1500

where in illinois do you live?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 AM
chandlerdoom

thankyou all for anwersing.

and if your profile is correct and still live in mendota, i used to live in peru but i now live down in peoria. so were pretty close. mind if i were to take a look at your car sometime? i have to head up to peru sometime to visit family, and head up to chicago aswell for some stuff.

and i looked at the stickys and it seemed a little confusing so i just quit reading. but now i have a better understanding.

anyone have any issues running boost of stock motor? not too worried since i can pick up another motor from a junkyard or just buy a srt4 motor.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:20 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt mind, but i dont have the red neon anymore if thats the one you are reffering to....got rid of it about 2 years ago.
i used to play down in peru with the car alot

Last edited by spudsterier; 10-17-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:35 AM
chandlerdoom

^^^ oh damn that sucks, cause i wanted to see how everything looked. ohwell

bought some tires today, since my other ones are beyond screwed. flat spots on the back from holding the ebrake too long down the highway

Quick Reply: new here, looking for some good knowledge