1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1997 Neon will not fire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:13 AM
radanovs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Neon will not fire!!!

Hello all. I have a 97 neon SOHC Automatic and it had a speedometer problem. So I went to Schucks and got a new speed sensor. Removed all of the cables from the bottom of the engine to see if there are any cracks or disconnected wires. I taped up the uncovered wires, put back the wiring to the speed sensor, oil pressure, camshaft, alternator and o2 sensors and cannot fire now. It turns over, the fuel pump works for about 3 seconds and then stops, there is just no spark. Then I went and got another wiring harness from the junk yard and still no luck. Then I tried the Key codes and all I got are 12 and 55. I also checked all of the grounds and thery fine. Please help!!!

Old 11-20-2009, 10:19 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one sensor you did not mention that is critical to fire is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Is it connected? If it is, have you run thru the procedures listed in the Haynes manual to verify that it is correctly functioning?

Also, did you check the Camshaft Position Sensor for correct operation? It is easy to do and again, the Haynes manual tells you how. If either of these sensors is not working, you will not get fire, and your fuel pump will act exactly has you describe, it works for a couple of seconds, then shuts down due to lack of input from the CPS and CmPS.

As for the Speedometer problem, unless you had an error code that mentioned the Vehicle Speed Sensor as the culprit, your most likely problem with it would be the bad solder joint issue that many 1st gen neons have/had.

Get the sensors checked out and the car running, then worry about the speedometer. If I am right, it still won't work.

Quick Reply: 1997 Neon will not fire!!!