1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Gas guages not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 07:58 AM
sudani50
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas guages not working

I have a 96 Neon. I have replace speedo cluster from junkyard. I resolder the cluster to get speedo working. Now the gas gauge quit, I replace fuel pump yesterday and it still does not work. Any ideas why it would stay on empty. ( Yes I have filled it up )

Happy Thanksgiving

Tony

Old 11-26-2009, 01:19 PM
shawn_selig29

when this happened to me, i just drove till i ran completely out of gas...when the engine shut off.... and used gas from a jug i had in trunk...started up....went to gas station... and i noticed that somewhere in between the gauge started to work..and has not quit since...

not saying its going to fix your problem for sure...but it helped me. good luck

Old 12-04-2009, 08:53 PM
snunicycler
Rookie

i had this problem too, I ended up pulling the gauge cluster and re-soldering in a few places. this thread shows which ones to check.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...er-repair.html

when i had the problem my gas gauge worked sporadically and the speedometer and odometer would not work at all. hope this helps

Old 12-13-2009, 11:11 AM
double b26

yeah, sounds like you need to reflow the solder joints on the gauge cluster's circuit board. basically, take it apart, get the board separated from the cluster. there are two black female plug-ins on the circuit board. flip it over, and on the other side you will see where those plugs connect and are soldered into the board. just get a hold solder iron, reheat each of those joints until you see them change color slightly. let it cool for a second, put it back together, and reinstall in the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Gas guages not working