1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Stuck in 1st gear...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:52 AM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in 1st gear...

hey whats up everyone..its Been a while since i checked out the forums, kinda stopped messin with my neon for a while since I bought another car to travel back and forth to work in.

neways, heres my prob, my 96 coupe is stuck in 1st gear. No reverse, no neutral, you can move the shifter back and forth, but not over into the other gears. It just slides up and down. It feels not something isnt connected, cause it just moves freely, but i'm not too sure what it really is. Well i was on my way to work with it, and leaving my house it shifted fine. the problem didn't happen until i left the gas station. what could this possibly be?

Old 12-05-2009, 12:20 PM
ottoretto
Professional

bro can be the valve body, or the discs burn it, do this, drain the oil and if is burn u must change the discs!!

Old 12-05-2009, 01:14 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

the 1g neon doesn't have a hydraulic clutch, its spring-loaded, therefore there is no oil to drain.....

Old 12-05-2009, 01:36 PM
ottoretto
Professional

oh wait, you have and manual transmission? if u do, try to check the transmission wire, that select the gears, maybe they disconected! its not clutch!

Old 12-05-2009, 01:43 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the shift cables on the transmission (just take move the relay box in the engine bay out of the way and you should be able to see them). If they are still connected there, then I would take out the center consul and look under the shifter and see what those look like. While you're at it though, if you haven't done it already I would buy some booger bushings from modern and put them in.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:03 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

I would think its the shift cable.. probably something simple.. check the crap outta the shift cable..

Old 12-06-2009, 02:00 AM
tabadboy

On my sons neon it was the plastic bushings[i guess thats what you call them] on the shifter.They broke and you had no control on the two shift cables.I made some new bushings for it and bought a new lock washer for it .Its been working like that for about two years now.Like they say take the console off and you will see whats going on.Hope this helps you out.

Quick Reply: Stuck in 1st gear...