1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

noisy 96

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 PM
tabadboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noisy 96

I had so much fun working on my sons neon.I picked up another one.This one is a 96 4 dr.It runs great but the motor sounds like a lifter is tapping.Can you adjust these? I took the valve cover off but could not see anything loose or bad.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Nope. The rockers use hydraulic lashes that are supplied by oil pressure. You can confirm that the lashes are the issue in several ways:

1) You need to confirm that the oil pressure for the motor is within proper operating range. The oil pressure sending unit is located on the firewall side of the motor toward the transmission. Take it out and hook up an oil pressure guage to confirm. Do this before you waste money on new rockers because if your oil pump is weak, new rockers won't help.

2) You can add some heavy weight oil (or STP) to thicken the oil (or change it and put in only 30 weight oil temporarily) and with the thicker oil, you SHOULD hear the noise level drop - if it is the rockers' lash that is going bad. If you don't, it may be the rods knocking. STP or equivalent is faster and cheaper to try.

3) Get a mechanics stethoscope and see if the noise is coming from the top of the motor or the bottom (rockers vs. rods).

It is extremely easy to replace the rockers, you just need to find the ones doing the knocking. The Haynes manual will tell you how to take it apart and how to determine which ones are going/gone bad. Half a day's work at best - unless you are an experienced mechanic, then about 2 hours.

Also know this. I don't think there is a Neon engine that does not have SOME rocker clatter. I think it is a design issue. My mothers' 2005 Dodge Neon only has 45K miles, and hers clatters some (especially cold). On my newly rebuilt 1995 Dodge Neon motor, I only replaced the clearly damaged rockers on #1 cylinder, and decided to replace the others only as needed. My engine clatters more then most (but only cold) and when the clatter reaches a level I can no longer stand (or if it begins to affect performance), I'll replace more.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:50 PM
tabadboy

Wow just wanted to come back on here and say thank you.I went to the local u pull em and found a Neon with only 58k on it and bought the whole rocker assm.It only cost me $35 for everything.That quieted it down it sounds great now.By the way if your close to waco tx they have a lot of Neons there, again Thanks

Quick Reply: noisy 96