1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

95 Neon Nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:37 AM
grswat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Neon Nonsense

Okay so I did some work on a friends 95 Neon, Auto, sohc, (actually I used to own it). I changed the radiator and inner/outer tie rod. When I tried to start it up after I had finished my work it would start then die immediately. So I figured I must have knocked something off when I pulled the radiator. Long story short there was nothing I could find off. I checked to see if it had any codes and it had an iac code. Pulled the iac and it was at least clean, so I put it back together and tried it again and it started and ran. So it was idling for quite a while and I had the cap off to burp out the system and finally got it full of coolant and took it for a spin and it died on me and it wouldn't start back up (start/immediately die). Got it back to my house and it had a camshaft position sensor code. I had replaced the cam sensor when I had it and had to splice the wires into the harness so that is where I first started looking. Rewired it and plugged it back in and it started and ran just fine. I'm starting to get worried about this stuff because I hadn't really messed with anything when I changed the rad. So I drove around the block again and it ran great, had it idling in my garage while I was tweaking my at-home alignment and it just shut off and is doing it's start/die thing again. No codes this time. So I'm thinking its an electrical gremlin of some sort but figured I'd throw this out there to anyone that has any ideas. Voltage going to the cam and crank sensors is good, I checked as many grounds as I could and everything appears to be making good connection.

So tl:dr. Neon starts then immediately dies.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:50 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try replacing the ASR relay with the horn relay and see if this problem stops. If it doesn't, swap the horn relay with the Fuel relay and try again. It sounds like once you car cools down, the "problem" resets itself.

Quick Reply: 95 Neon Nonsense