1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Door Panels

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:08 PM
96neon69
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Panels

Any specific procedure to remove the interior door panels, I need to get into them to replace the front speakers.

I don't wanna take them off and then be screwed because I can't get them back on.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:15 PM
DodgeStorm
Rookie

I actually did this last month.... The stock speakers I had were really bad.

First, unscrew the Phillips screw in the little cup thing in the door at the end of the armrest. Also, unscrew the torque screw that's behind the interior door handle (lift the handle open and look behind it)
Now, you're going to take a small slotted screw driver, or other prying tool, and insert it around the edges of the trim. Pry until it comes free...it may be difficult at first. Be careful not to scratch the panel or the door paint, or break the panel. It should come loose a little easier after the first few pins are loose.

slide the trim so it comes off the top of the door. Carefully unplug any wires (power locks/windows) without damaging the plugs. Unsnap the sliver rod (control rod) from the trim.

The trim should be off! Just be careful with the door and the wires. I've done this procedure probably a dozen times now for various reasons.

Good luck and feel free to ask for more help.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 AM
cur88alan

what about if you have manual window cranks

Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM
DodgeStorm
Rookie

It's all basically the same, just take the window cranks off after the screws, and before you pop the panels off. I think they just pop off, but they might unscrew. I've never dealt with the manual windows...but I can check on one....really shouldn't be hard though.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

manual window cranks are held in place with a snap clip
go to autozone and get part number 76951 for $6. it is a universal window handle removal tool. Makes it easy to get it off. Just put the clip back in place and pop it on the spindle to put it back on. It will click when it is fully seated.

The trick is to find the open end of the clip to use the tool to push it out of the slot it sits in. Takes a lttle effort at first, but once you have done it once or twice, you can get a handle off in about 15 seconds. You can do the same with a flat bladed screwdriver (you risk damaging the panel), or some folks use a shop rag to slide in and snag it to push it out (kinda hard to figure out and do at first, and not as easy as it sounds).

Quick Reply: Door Panels