1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 PM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any suggestions

no i dont own a neon anymore had an 02 i miss it but a friend of mine has a 96 sport and she is having problems its been diagnosed as the water pump now the problem is they cant get the exsisting one off to replace it wondering if anyone out there in the neon section may have had this same problem and or a suggestion as to why its seems to be welded on lol

Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

Well never had the issue, My guess would be to take A wooden dowel and Smack it a good one on the gear. Hopefuly it does not spin while you do it. Good luck to them.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by canadian dakota
no i dont own a neon anymore had an 02 i miss it but a friend of mine has a 96 sport and she is having problems its been diagnosed as the water pump now the problem is they cant get the exsisting one off to replace it wondering if anyone out there in the neon section may have had this same problem and or a suggestion as to why its seems to be welded on lol
The water pump is aluminum and the block is cast so the problem can be that the aluminum pump can sometimes gaul (extremely weak weld) itself to the block - especially if it gets really really hot. I am going to assume that they got the bolts out just fine, so yeah - whack it with a rubber or dead blow hammer a few times to loosen it up. When it finally pops loose, you need to take some fine sandpaper to smooth out the rough spots on the block where the pump goes to reduce the likelyhood of it happening again.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:25 AM
canadian dakota
Record Breaker

thanks guys ill pass the advice along and hope it works she's driving a windstar at the moment and wants her neon back

Quick Reply: any suggestions