1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:26 PM
frhorntimmy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Radio problems

so a few months ago my fm radio just turned off and stopped working while I was driving, the am however works fine. thought about throwing a cd player in it that was given to me but don't really want to rather keep it stock and just use my ipod/fm transmitter. anyone have this problem before? any fix suggestions ?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:48 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

never had that problem I would either get a wiring harness for the new radio. http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harness.../dp/B000KL2IZ4
and the radio in dash install kit. http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Install.../dp/B000KL0JX2 or find another stock player. on eGay for about $30 - $40. or you can get what I have for $100 - $150 is a radio that you can hook your Ipod directly to.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by frhorntimmy
so a few months ago my fm radio just turned off and stopped working while I was driving, the am however works fine. thought about throwing a cd player in it that was given to me but don't really want to rather keep it stock and just use my ipod/fm transmitter. anyone have this problem before? any fix suggestions ?
Most likely scenario is that the FM side of the radio burned out. I say this because you can hear AM radio stations, so the antenna is connected (and is more antenna sensitive then FM), the radio is getting power and the speakers generate sound.

I have a cheap Panasonic radio I got at Walmart that has a CD player, AM/FM, and AUX port so that I can plug my MP3 player into it and hear every song on my player. I quit using the CD. Spend the extra $15 bucks and get the aftermarket adapter so that you won't have a big wiring mess with all the cutting and splicing. It sounds just fine.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:58 PM
frhorntimmy

thanks I really think that is what happened, last week I changed my neutral start switch and found a bad/broken ground wire.... which explains why I have replaced 3 sensors over the past 5 months and my radio died. I already have an old JVC KD-G800 receiver that some one gave me..just waiting on the mounting sleeve and trim ring I ordered to get here.. now I'll have radio and CD instead of cassette and AM only just wish it had a line in for my i pod but I guess I'll just use my FM transmitter, and save the money for all new speakers this summer (mine are dry rotting)... any suggestions on speakers anyone? I've never had to replace Car audio before.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

The two front door speakers are 6 3/4" and very shallow due to the window coming down to within a few frog hairs width behind it. You can get the 6 3/4 to 6 1/2 adapter ring for about 4 bucks and the 6 1/2 inch speakers are way more common and cheaper. Match the output ohms of your radio to the new speakers BTW.

The two rear speakers are just your typical 6 x 9's, so get a pair that matches your radio ohm output.

As for the two little tweeters under the dash board cover, (it is easy to get off as it just pops up then pull it forward to remove), I have yet to find anyone who can tell me a good aftermarket replacement for them.

Quick Reply: Radio problems