Replace 98 AC Evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Noxz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace 98 AC Evaporator

Hi!
98 Plymouth Neon SOHC Auto
I just spent the day taking off nearly the whole dash to get to the AC components in there, since we had a auto place look at the car to tell us that to tell us what the problem is further, they will have to look under the dash...screw it, let me figure it out myself(not my car, but lives at my house)
..Alright, so I spent the day figuring out for the first time how to take the dash apart, and soon realized that I have to disconnect a lot of wires for that wiretray..that wasnt a huge deal, just remove the center console to get to the computer and a few things under the steering column...I gave enough wire play to pull the dash(not the cosmetic parts, the stuff under that) out a good foot+ on the passenger side...I assume the one wire left that went into the door(and thus why I couldnt find the plug for it) is the speaker since there arent power windows or locks((passenger)airbag sensors?)...basically, it was getting late, 5pm, and decided to put the car back together because it is someones daily driver and cant be without it for more than a day at a time...I have 4 screws in my pocket...who know where they go...I don't drive it...I don't care..it was 99% cosmetic stuff anyways
...So how would I go about getting to the evaporator and such? I couldnt really figure it out, also the blower/fan squeels and will need ot be replaced aswell,w here is this? I havent been able to find any good images online...I plan to go at it again next weekend, maybe on Sunday? starting earlier than noon this time, and knowing how to take part 99% of it

Old 04-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Noxz
Default The Next Morning, or Afternoon, whenever I woke up...

So, I was aburbtly woken up this morning...
THE FUEL GUAGE AND SPEEDOMETER ARENT WORKING!
...****...
LET ME TAKE A LOOK!
...without any breakfeast, I go out with my tools and pop off the top of the dash, driver's kickboard, and the vent cover to the left, to gain access to all 4 screws of the IP, pull it out, and voila, the problem was right there, one of the two plugs wasnt in the right place...oh...I see, it's suppose to clip into place...I was in a bit of rush last evening and didnt realize this...put it all back together, I was told the gas gauge is suppose to read FULL..and it did
so, a simple fix
BUT
I still need to know how to take out the AC components under the dash, including the fan/blower..it works, it just makes some noises at startup (are there some bearings?)...are the AC components separate from the HVAC core or whatever it is called? is it inside of it? if so I read that for the heating you have to drain the coolant(makes sense)
..let me know..
pictures please

Last edited by Noxz; 04-11-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

well not sure about the evap coil but the Blower moter is pretty simple to acess without taking anything apart but the side kick plate on the passenger side and pull the carpet back and remove the 3 or 4 8mm bolts. and most of the time it is just some debri in the squirel cage causing the noise.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Noxz

Debris, okay, will note..I am trying to think if the passenger side actually has a kick panel like the drivers side though, I don't think it did, it has the glove box, but I don't recall a kick panel

Quick Reply: Replace 98 AC Evaporator