1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Steering Wheel Jumping

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:02 AM
walsh16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Wheel Jumping

I've looked around on a couple sites and can't seem to find anything on this. And I think it's mainly cause I don't know what to search without explaining it so i decided to come here in hopes that it's happened to someone else and they can help me

My problem is in my 1999 neon. Every now and then, usually after driving for more than 20 mins (doesn't matter what speed) my steering wheel will sort of jump/shake. Imagine how your steering wheel jumps when you hit a big pot hole or like a large rock or something. I know it's not the best explanation but that;s the best comparison i could come up with. When driving for only short trips it doesnt tend to happen, so it seems that it occurs after the car has warmed up.

I checked my tires, ball joints, tie rods, everything i could think of that may be loose and could be affecting the wheels. From what I can tell everything is in working order up until about the steering rack. So I think it could be something with the steering rack or steering pump perhaps.

I've spoken to a few other guys I know but they don't have much experience with neons, but after explaining that everything was working and tight that I could check by rolling under the car they agreed that it seems like it could be a steering rack problem or perhaps the transmission even (i sure hope not!)

My wheel has always vibrated at higher speeds but this occurs at all speeds. Its not a constant problem will just kick in every 5 mins or so after i've been driving for a while, then it will stop. then come back a few mins later. I know the steering wheel can have similar movements if the brakes are bad but it doesnt always happen when im breaking. Im really baffled by this problem and hope somebody can help!! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:03 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel balance is the first thing that comes to mind. If not that, does your steering wheel have a lot of play (up and down) when stopped? If it does, it could be that the clockspring behind the wheel has cracked and allowing the wheel to move more than it should. I currently have this issue and have been to lazy to address it.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Jumping