1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Blown Head Gasket 1996 Neon

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Jamminj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Head Gasket 1996 Neon

Hi,

After trying almost everything in my car to get it to stop over heating ( changed the radiator, changed the thermostat, sealed the crack overflow container my mechanic says I need to change the head gasket. The problem is I can't afford the amount of money I know places will charge me and After putting 400 dollars into i cant justify spending more on it when its not worth the total cost. i was told that a temporary fix to the problem is liquid head gasket. My question is has anyone had experience with this liquid? Does it work for a couple of month? Honestly, I know its only temporary solution but I only need this car for a couple of more months.

Thank you for your time,

J

Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

I assume you mean the old trick of using "liquid glass" to seal small head issues so that you can ride for a while (or quickly sell it off) and get by.... Let me start by saying that I would NEVER under ANY circumstances use this in one of my cars, but this isn't my car and I don't know your situation.....so....... that said:

If that is the case, then yes, it can work. You pour it into your radiator and when it gets hot, it settles into tiny cracks and hardens and will temporarily seal up the problem. I know it works because I bought a car a long time ago from a shady SOB that did it. I know it ruins any chance you ever have of rebuilding the engine and this is the same stuff that they used for the Cash for clunkers program - except they put it into the oil to completely hose up the engine because when that stuff hardens, it will eat the dog mess out of bearings, and other moving parts.....

You can do it and drive it for a while and be fine....or you can do it and drive it a day and your engine will crap out and die or clog up your radiator and cause it to overheat even worse and really wreck the engine too.

It truly is a crap shoot, but again, I do not know your situation so use it at your own peril and god speed and good luck... you are gonna need it.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:31 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple response: Don't use it.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:35 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

just go and replace the headgasket yourself. it would be cheaper to buy all the tools than to pay a mechanic to repair it for you. there are many How to's on here if your conserned about not being able to do it yourself. and if your really conserned place each set of bolts in a zip-lock and lable them where they go. as for the head bolts you have to check them for streching and place them in a cardboard slab labled front or rear. the head bolts must go back in the hole they originaly came out of. also make sure you don't put the head gasked on upside down.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket 1996 Neon