1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 05:01 PM
ryhorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust System

I heard from some place that putting a DOCH exhaust system on a SOCH would give the SOCH much more power. Is this true? Just wanna know. Thanks So Much.
Aloha,
Ryhorn

Old 05-14-2005, 06:45 PM
1998neon
Professional
Default RE: Exhaust System

If you are talking about the muffler than yes. It doesn't give you lots more power, but the muffler is more free flowing. It also gives the car a better sound. Less like a rental car.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:50 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah the 1g piping is the same for both sohc and dohc, its just the mufflers that are different. its worth a couple hp swapping to the dohc muffler. the dohc muffler feels lighter, looks better, and sounds a little better as well. and for like 10-15 bucks (thats all id pay for a stock dohc muffler) id say its worth it.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:07 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

THe DOHC muffler on a SOHC car was dyno tested as a 5 HP gain. A quality true straight-through design gets closer to 10 HP. You won't get much more than that without replacing the stock cat and piping - huge restriction where the d/s O2 sensor is.

Best of luck!

Old 05-19-2005, 02:34 AM
nitroneon

just do a ful exhaust. I mean i have a DOHC but its alot better for both. I have a header, 2.5" piping, no cat (for now), no downstream 02, and a vibrant dual tip exhaust. It sounds good and helped out alot.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:16 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock exhaust is optimally sized for the engine, you shouldn't go larger unless you plan on lots of performance mods like, cam, head, intake manifold, etc., or you will lose torque which is already low enough. I had the Mopar Performance chrome header and exhaust (AKA: muffler & exhaust tip) and it sounded great as well as performed great. The SOHC is plagued by a pathetic cam that makes almost all bolt-on mods worthless other than sound. If you want to make any real power gains then you will need to start with the cam.

Quick Reply: Exhaust System