1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

POOF! OMG, what was that???!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 PM
LilRedNeon97
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy POOF! OMG, what was that???!!

ok, soooooooooooooo... I figured out/remembered which was that low pressure valve for the a/c... I bought the Interdynamics Recharge kit with leak stop. I just put it in and the air got pretty cool! Once I got to the desired psi which was almost 45. The can said between 45 and 55 due to the temp outside but I didn't go all the way because frankly, my finger hurt and the engine heat was killing me (boo hoo, I know).
I closed the valve, shut the hood and sat in the car for a minute. After about 3 minutes, I hear Psssssssssssssssss POOF! And there is seemingly smoke, but I believe it was just the refrigerant vapor because it had an aerosol smell, coming through the vents and the engine. Lasted only moment. I shut the car off, quit and came in to ask you all
WHAT WAS THAT?!!

I am quite certain that Pssssssssss POOF! is NOT a good sound. UGH!

Old 06-27-2010, 12:45 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm I wonder if one of the lines blew somewhere around the AC.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:46 AM
LilRedNeon97
Professional

Like a hose or something? If this is the case, do you have any idea of the cost to fix it?
Cost of parts? Labor?

I'm pretty sure it was the refrigerant that came out because, as I said earlier, it smelled like aerosol... and came IN the vents a little.

I need a/c this summer. I'm gettin' too old fo' this shhhhhh.....

lol.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:31 PM
LilRedNeon97
Professional

oh... and it still blows air... just hot air, once again.

Is there any sort of release valve that would let it out if I put too much in? Or does it just burst open?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:12 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

No my friend, it sounds like you had an overpressurization blowout in one or more places in your lines and now you will be spending a S$$$ load of time and money checking and/or replacing lines and/or o ring seals to get it all back together. Most likely you also need to replace the dryer/accumulator too. I hope you didn't blow out the condenser coil, but you better have it pressure checked.

Forget those home kit rechargers. They cause more headaches and heartaches then you can imagine. Usually, you can find a local shop who will pressure and vacuum check your system to see if it will hold up, then properly fill your system - and usually for less then $100 bucks.

Now I don't know where you live, but in AL, $100 to keep my big BUTT cool with lots of BTU's is well worth it. I did the home kit once and ended up spending $300 and 1 month fixing the darn thing - in August - wishing the whole time I hadn't done it.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 PM
LilRedNeon97
Professional
Unhappy

:'o( [quivering sad lip]

Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 AM
d46313neon
Amateur

im sorry but lmfao and i use the onecan does it all t**** with the metal screw on can toper and i havent had a prob one can a/c oil and 2 cans refrigerant does ****in wonders in the 100+ heat i get here in il

Quick Reply: POOF! OMG, what was that???!!