1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Desperately need info!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:56 PM
mrneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Desperately need info!!!

Okay, so Tomorrow I am going to purchase a 1st gen neon from a friend. I think it's a 1997, but not so sure. All's I know is that it runs and drives. It has dents, and the classic neon clear coat flaking in the middle of the roof. MY plan is to fix this car as a daily driver, but with better looks than it is currently stock. My plan is to replace the current automatic trans with the 5-speed variant. How difficult is that? And if anyone has a "How to" I would love to have that. Now, I would also like to put the 2.4L Turbo Engine in as well. I know that isn't too bad as I've replaced neon power plants before, haha. Is there anything special that has to be done to the ECU or anything else electrical? I can get the "sport cluster" for free, as I have one sitting around. Now, as far as tuning, if the 2.4L T. Engine is going to be pretty hard, how about putting in the DOHC engine and turboing it?

Next, speed. If I wanted to change the gear ration in the transmission, how difficult would that be?

So yea, I have a lot of questions, and I am turning to you all more experienced folk for my information.

Thanks in advance!
--Mr.Neon!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.msu.edu/~lareseer/trannySwap.html for the trans swap there is another site that has the way to change the gear ratio but I can not seem to find it right now. as for the Engine swap there is plenty of info on here in the sticky to inform you of what to do.

Quick Reply: Desperately need info!!!