1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

battery/ voltage problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 01:05 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery/ voltage problems

My alternator is charging way more than it should at like 14 and 15 volts and bringing up my battery light is there anyway I can fix this b/c Neons have no VOLTAGE regulators and such what am I to do? Disconnect the ECU to reset? Or might I have a problem w/ my 12 volt relays? I would like some input.... thanks to all.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:31 AM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: battery/ voltage problems

are you sure its getting too much voltage? you are getting the "voltage too high" code?

the neon DOES have a voltage regulator.. however, its internal with the ecu.

Old 05-24-2005, 05:31 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Yeah, I think whats the normal cranking volts? ive seen some cars go up as high as 16 volts. And I know its controlled by ECU cuz of the use of it in my 1st post. I took it in to get tested and it was throwin out that voltage number. Im also surprised that doing it for the past couple o weeks it hasnt fried any cells. I just need a start at what to do? Also can u get an evaporitive systems code from your gascap? I mean my car isnt that old cuz it takes a long time for those charcoal filters to go out if ever at all. I dunno maybe its the hoses but its never done that b4.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:00 PM
SlowAssNeon
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i dunno which relays yer talkin about, or if theyd be effecting the charging voltage..

have you reset the ecu to see if it made any change?

yup, a loose/bad gas cap can bring up that code for the evap system.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:45 PM
Neon Lights

Yeah the voltage is regulated within the ecu. However if the outut at the back of the alternator is above 15V( there are times where it does run at the mid 14s) then it is over charging. to fix it 90 percet of the times all that you have to do is mount an external regulator. Iam not sure what type of places sell/do that sort of stuff. We do (reg and harness), but we are rebuliders as well as a full service shop. There is a small possibility that the rotor in the alternator is shorted and cannot be regulated. That means a rebuild. BTW the most common cause of failure is the stator,the rotor would be probbaly ok in most cases, you can get used ones for cheap if they dont work or just get another alt at napa or such. you probally just need mount a regulator. Hope this helps. kim

Quick Reply: battery/ voltage problems