1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

2dr 96 dohc neon

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:14 PM
ajhiggi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2dr 96 dohc neon

okay, check it out. i've got a '96 2dr neon. it's got the dohc motor in it with INDY intake manifold, cold air intake, twisted 4into1 header, 2 3/4 stainless exhaust with dual tips. coil over lowering springs and front and rear strut tower braces. i'm looking to increase performance, but i've got this annoying "buck" it's like the cars got a stuttering problem. anybody got any ideas????

Last edited by ajhiggi; 08-20-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:53 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

check your fuel pressure. and when is the last time the car had a tune up, timing belt, waterpump?

Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 AM
ajhiggi

i've already replaced the plugs and wires, i replaced the cam and crank sensors. timing belt is still good. haven't checked fuel pressure yet b/c it only does it while moving, and it's completely random. any gear and at any rpm. i'm thinkin its somethin electrical. also, there's no downstream o2 sensor on my car. maybe thats doin it?

Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

First off, the INDY intake manifold actually has too much flow for an n/a only platform. You may want to look into this.

I'd run a full can of sea foam through the fuel tank, and another through a vacuum line to make sure everything is as clean as can be. Just realized my car has been falling on its face due to a vacuum leak. Pulls pretty good now. I also recommend the Prothane bushing kit from modernperformance.com .

This could be the early sign of a failing injector or fuel pump, if there are no codes. Winter is just around the corner, so I would not dally.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM
ajhiggi

yeah, no codes, and i've heard that i'm "smothering" the motor with air, but i'm getting ready to do head and cam work to it. i'll see if the sea foam will work. i've already ran STP fuel injector cleaner and an octane booster through the car and no improvement.

Quick Reply: 2dr 96 dohc neon