1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

first time with neon need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:03 PM
carter442
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time with neon need some help

first off ust wanted to say hi im new here and new to neons my girlfriend jsut bought one and im taking on the repairs for it. im not new to wrenching im a student at unoh for diesel tech so you are not talking to a total newb lol ok so the biggest problem is her gauge cluster does not work sometimes it will other times it wont if i tap the dash it may work almost like a loose connection and even when it does work the speedo does not work below 60 any ideas of what it could be if not a loose connection? i havent torn into the dash but my first order of business is to check the connection at gauges and if it has a bcm then there at the ecm

Old 10-26-2010, 09:30 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by carter442
first off ust wanted to say hi im new here and new to neons my girlfriend jsut bought one and im taking on the repairs for it. im not new to wrenching im a student at unoh for diesel tech so you are not talking to a total newb lol ok so the biggest problem is her gauge cluster does not work sometimes it will other times it wont if i tap the dash it may work almost like a loose connection and even when it does work the speedo does not work below 60 any ideas of what it could be if not a loose connection? i havent torn into the dash but my first order of business is to check the connection at gauges and if it has a bcm then there at the ecm
This is a very common problem with 1st gen Neons and the link below shows everything you need to do to hopefully fix the problem.

Taking the dash apart is easy. The top cover pops off (two clips in the front) and you pull it up and toward you to remove it. The cluster is held on by 4 phillips screws and it comes right off.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...er-repair.html

Old 10-27-2010, 08:52 PM
mopar_man1970

this did work for my 1997 neon...

Old 10-31-2010, 05:17 PM
carter442

so we got the gauges working but after two days the speedo quit working is this related to the first problem? cause the problem was the cable was loose so we got it in the connector the right way and everything worked

Old 11-09-2010, 12:35 PM
snunicycler
Rookie

ya, redo the solder (sp?) on the guage cluster. it fixed mine and was incredibly easy. the link that bg1995redneon gave you is what you need

Quick Reply: first time with neon need some help