1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:03 AM
atinius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy timing belt replacement

I need to replace the timing belt in my 98 neon 2.0L. The procedure has the following tasks near the end.

My scan tool only reads and does not run any diagnostic routines. Is there a way to get the ECM to re-learn the cam/crank whatever without a scan tool and does anyone know the consequences of not running this routine?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 AM
    Ghost Neon 2
    Record Breaker

Does the car start?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 AM
    bg1995redneon
    Captain

Originally Posted by atinius
    I need to replace the timing belt in my 98 neon 2.0L.

Is there a way to get the ECM to re-learn the cam/crank whatever without a scan tool and does anyone know the consequences of not running this routine?

If the battery is disconnected while you are replacing the timing belt (and it should be), the PCM will reset itself to defaults and will automatically re-learn when you try to start it. You don't have to do a thing.

Replace the water pump too while you are at it. And don't just replace the belt, get a timing kit (includes a new idler pulley(s) too. Water pump is about $40, but if an old one goes bye-bye after you replace the belt, you will be replacing it again.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:26 PM
    ohioguru
    Veteran

ya def do water pump and check tensioner. mine went out like 2 days after i did my belt and pump. what a pain

Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 AM
    atinius

Thanks everyone for the tips. The car does start and is actually running well, but it has 188000 so I feel preventative maintenance is in order as a broken timing belt can mess lots of things up and the water pump has to be close to its end of life.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 AM
    DOHCgarrett t3
    Record Breaker

yes, the pump, tensioner and belt are a pretty easy swap. took me about an hour with all the proper tools. a good pully puller and an impact gun make quick work of things. also a good set of metric sockets. you will need an extra hand when doing the idler pully before that has been pulled make sure you put a small allen wrench through the tiny holes on the tensioner or you will need a vice to press it back in. I got the gator kit which came with a set of pretty good directions.

Quick Reply: timing belt replacement