1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1998 Dodge Neon, cuts out when fuel drops to 3/4 tank

Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Grahampham
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dodge Neon, cuts out when fuel drops to 3/4 tank

Just bought this car for my daughter. When the Fuel drops below 3/4 tank the car will sputter and cut out. Guy I bought it from said it was the fuel pressure regulator and showed me a part located on the fuel rail which he said was the faulty part. When I look in the Haynes manual the fuel rail doesn't look like the one on my car, and it says the fuel pressure regulator is actually located on the fuel pump (which this guy had already replaced) located on the right side of the gas tank. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there a way to know for sure this is the faulty part?

I am not a mechanic by any means, but must find a fix for this without paying a mechanic.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Grahampham

Thanks, but that really didn't help

Old 10-29-2010, 01:04 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the first generation Neon section,
FF

Old 10-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Grahampham

Thank you...

Old 10-29-2010, 01:19 PM
canadiansebring
Banned

You're welcome

Old 10-29-2010, 03:06 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

thats messed up maybe the pick up tube is loose or something?

Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

On a 1998 Dodge Neon, everything associated with the fuel pump, guage, regulator, filter, etc. is a single replaceable unit that fits inside the gas tank held in place with a lock ring. You can buy individual parts for one, but most folks just buy the full unit and a full unit is easier to find most of the time. If this guy actually did replace the fuel pump (as he said) then:

1) He re-installed it incorrectly. It sounds like he put it back in upside down and instead of the pickup being toward the bottom of the tank, its on the topside and and when you get down some, it cavitates and sucks air causing the problem you are reporting. Take off the protective cover (two bolts) and look at the short drain connector on the unit. It is the one covered by a cap and clamp - about 1/2 inch long. If it is toward the top of the tank, that is wrong. When/if you remove it, you should see something that looks like a nylon bag over the fuel pickup tube, and it SHOULD be facing the bottom of the tank. Facing any direction other then that is wrong.

2) He actually did only replace the fuel pump and did not buy the full one-piece unit - which means he did not replace the regulator, et. al. A full unit costs about $250, but has everything and is really the best way to go as it is a major yucky job to change it out (I just did it myself) and I hope to never do it again! Yuck!

If you are not a mechanic, then you hopefully have a friend who is, or you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions as this takes some skill. Buy yourself a Haynes manual ~$25 , and it will detail how to drain, drop, and redo the fuel unit.

Good Luck.

Originally Posted by Grahampham
Just bought this car for my daughter. When the Fuel drops below 3/4 tank the car will sputter and cut out. Guy I bought it from said it was the fuel pressure regulator and showed me a part located on the fuel rail which he said was the faulty part. When I look in the Haynes manual the fuel rail doesn't look like the one on my car, and it says the fuel pressure regulator is actually located on the fuel pump (which this guy had already replaced) located on the right side of the gas tank. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there a way to know for sure this is the faulty part?

I am not a mechanic by any means, but must find a fix for this without paying a mechanic.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Grahampham

Thank you very much. This was very helpful. I will take a look at it tomorrow and see how it is installed. I actually bought the Haynes manual already. I am just unclear if I just have to relieve the fuel system pressure, or actually remove all of the fuel from the tank??? I am somewhat mechanically inclined... or at least used to be. Like everyone the economy is forcing me to be once again.

Are you familiar with the fuel rail on this car? If I load a picture of the part he pointed out, do you think you may know what it is?

Thanks again.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:19 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to remove the fuel pump you don't have to relieve the fuel pressure (just don't do it right after driving). I've never relieved it before taking a fuel component off and I've had no issues.

If its the part is what I think it is, it looks like a round thingy connected to the fuel rail on the passenger side? If so, To be honest, I have no clue what it is. When I go to the junkyard, its only on some Neons so I wonder if its a Cali. emissions thing but IDK. But to my knowledge, its not a regulator.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Grahampham

Thanks,

I think you're correct... Must be Cali emissions. I just talked with the guy I bought it from and he said he replaced the fuel pump not too long ago. Since the fuel pressure regulator is part of the pump... that must not be the issue. He also said this problem started after he installed the fuel pump. So, I will start there and make sure it is installed correctly.

Hopefully It is a simple and quick fix,

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Neon, cuts out when fuel drops to 3/4 tank