1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Little more power

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:46 PM
decker87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little more power

My little neon, a 1997 sport DOHC, is not as fast as I would like. I don't expect to win any drag races, but I'd like to be able to get up to 70mph on the freeway onramps a little bit easier, because I have to slam the pedal as it is.

What is the best thing I can do to do this? It's up there in miles, 113K.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:35 AM
nightstreetneon
Rookie
Default RE: Little more power

CAI, headers, full exhaust. to start with.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:46 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker
Default RE: Little more power

Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley... all due at 105k miles, should be done earlier than that...

Is your Sport one of the DOHC automatics? If so, it's actually the slowest of all 1st gen Neons - power band vs. shift point... shifting it yourself will make matters worse. If not, the DOHC responds very well to basic mods.

The muffler on the DOHC's is actually pretty nice from a performance standpoint. A true CAI, UDP, and maybe a larger TB will help some. DOHC's have a large assortment of cams to choose from, and they're tons easier to swap out than the SOHC's... There are a number of headers you could go with (you only need one header, not "headers" ). Price does not indicate performance in most cases, but expect to pay $250+ for a decent mid-long tube header.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Little more power