1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

High beams wont turn off on a '98

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM
PolarBearCubs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beams wont turn off on a '98

Hi guys, the high beams on my '98 SOHC neon wont turn off unless i pull out the headlamp fuse from under the hood, and by doing that i have no lights at all for night driving. I read elsewhere that it could be the headlight relay, but i cannot find that anywhere in my car, i've also read that it could be the headlight switch or the multi-function switch. How could i go about finding the problem and get my highbeams/headlights to work properly?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-13-2010, 01:30 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just need to know a little more info.

does your neon have daytime running lights?

IF there is a relay it will be located under the hood in the power distribution center. Wiring diagrams show no such relay though.
It could likely be inside the switch.

a quick fix would be disconnecting the red/orange wires from the bulbs, but by doing this you will only have low beams, highs will never work as the line will be cut. not an ideal fix but it would give you reliable low beams till you figure this out then you just reconnect the red/orange and will be back to new.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
PolarBearCubs

yes, my neon does have daytime running lights, and i have checked in the PDC before for the relay but didnt find it in there, will check the switch soon, thanks

Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a wiring diagram?

Old 12-18-2010, 01:29 PM
PolarBearCubs

K so i figured out the problem... it's the daytime running lamp module that's messed up. So i guess that it was just my daytime lights staying on all the time and not my highbeams. The fix... I unplugged the module from the harness and the lights stay off now, and my low/high beams work as normal.

Sad part is, is that the module cost $216 + tax from a dealership, so i'll just go without it.

Quick Reply: High beams wont turn off on a '98