1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

New here and looking for some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:26 AM
kgrimm86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and looking for some help

Hi,

A friend of mine has a '97 Dodge Neon that she's been having problems with. She says that when she's turning right or slowing down at a stop sign, the car sputters and sometimes stalls completely. It will restart without any problems. It seems to do it only when it's warm and will not do it if she is sittong still and turns the wheel to the right. She's had it to the garage twice and they have changed the cam shaft sensor and the crank shaft sensor (according to what the garage told her.) She's pretty frustrated because she doesn't have a lot of money to keep changing out parts only to find it still does it. Any ideas? She only knows it has "a lot of miles on it" because the odometer only works sporadically. And help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:46 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the speedo is a no brainer, easy fix. you will have to look for the "how to" for soldering the board. Someone will have to remove the dash and 4 screws that hold the speedo cluster secure. There are some further steps to repair the cluster located on the forum.
As for the sputtering and stalling I am thinking maybe a vacuume leak simple fix if that is the problem, and it won't cost but maybe a few bucks to resolve the problem. I would start searching by the Brake Booster\Master Cylinder.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a van that died on turns
soultion was a problem in the EGR Valve
(that one was hard to diagnose)
Not saying thats your problem tho

Do This:
try coming to a stop in Neutral and turning in Neutral and see if it does the same
if it feels good maybe convertors not unlocking freeley