1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1995 neon sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 PM
pv2crow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 neon sport

I have a 2.0 L neon 5 speed it will not grab any gear I have checked the cluch cabel and shift linkage cabels both were good the car did not give any warning sines no noise anything

Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

If you cannot get the car into any of the 5-forward gears, and I assume you have tried reverse too), then most likely your clutch and/or pressure/plate are shot and need replacing. It may also be that the the throwout bearing has worn out (or come loose and is no longer able to do its job), but if you have to open it up to fix that, you should go ahead and get a clutch kit and do it all because you don't want to go back in there for a long, long time if you can help it. Yes, a clutch can just go out with no warning. Usually, most people don't recognize the signs of an impending failure which usually manifest as slipping in lower gears because the car having to wind its way up to go is usually attributed to an engine problem at first.

Last edited by bg1995redneon; 01-06-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM
pv2crow

the cluch is new i just put a new motor in and replaced it when that was done

Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

If your clutch cable is pulling on the throwout bearing fork and the throwout bearing is pressing on the pressure plate tines properly and the proper amount of force is applied to the springs to release the pressure plate from the flywheel allowing you to change gears, and then when you release the clutch, the system engages properly with the flywheel, then your system would be completely functional. If any single one of the above items is not functioning properly (due to wear, or improper installation, etc.), then it won't.

It is really that simple and yes, that simple to screw up. The most common failure of new clutch installations is improper alignment. They work for a short time, then fail with no warning whatsoever.

Not quite so well known on a 95 clutch is that the flywheel that contacts the clutch disk is not flat, but rather has a special bevel to it. I hope you did not have someone grind it down or some such as that would create the problem too by keeping the disk from proper contact and/or alignment. I am not saying you did any of this, nor am I saying that you did. These are just common failure points.

Now, if the clutch is functioning as it should (checking everything else carefully), then you have an internal transmission problem. The most likely culprit is a synchronizer that has gone bad causing the gears to not line up and mesh. If this is the case, you would be better off just getting a used one from a JY. Fixing a bad manually tranny is far more expensive then finding a used one. I have seen used ones go for as little as $200.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: 1995 neon sport