1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:42 PM
vabear
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

1998 DOHC/MTX Neon and she is leaking coolant (dribbling) at the back side of the engine. Coolant is coming past (behind) the alternator, and pooling at the meeting of the block and pan ( a little is getting on the oil filter housing). I cannot see any leakage from the bottom of the reservoir and I suspect the hose that runs from the reservoir to the thermostat housing may be fractured (car has 76,00 miles on it and this is the only hose I have not checked) If I do need to pull the reservoir is/are ther one or two bolts holding it (my Haynes says one, but looking at replacement reservoirs it appears as if there are two bolt hole) . The car does not overheat and it has the MLS head gasket.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

There are two bolts holding your overflow tank on.

I hope it is not your water pump dribbling out. They do that to indicate that they are failing and in need of replacement before final failure. Check to see if there is any signs of water in/around the timing belt housing. If it is the water pump, then go ahead and replace your timing belt, tension and idler pulleys too. You can buy kits that have everything (including the water pump). At 76K, it is time to replace the timing belt anyway, so while you are at it, check for water leak signs.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:59 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Coolant Leak

Yup the coolant is leaking out at the lower rear corner of the timing gear cover so I suspect the water pump is going. I will definiiely change timing belt as well as the labor is already done whenv I go to the water pump.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:24 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Good luck. I bought my kit from mizumoauto on ebay and they were excellent folks. Good quality parts and shipped fast. I put a link to one of their current buy it now listings and you can get it all for $72,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eagle...Q5fAccessories

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak