1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1st gen 95 dodge neon running problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:35 PM
dodgeneon95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen 95 dodge neon running problems!

Hello there, i have a 1995 dodge neon base with the 2.0L SOHC engine. I have recenty been having problems with the starting of the vehicle. I turn the key and it starts, but only for a moment until it dies. If i push the pedal in a bit, it stays running rough until it warms up and then runs fine. I tried plugs, wires, fuel filter and tossing a can of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. None of this has worked. My buddy told me to check the throttle body, warm that piece up a little bit and see if it starts good then. I will be testing that shortly, but first he told me to check the IAC, which is on the throttlebody i assume, just have no idea where abouts. The inside of the trottlebody was dirty with gummy brown residue, so i whiped it out as much as i could with a rag. Is there any free diagrams on how to remove this so i can clean it better? If anyone has pictures of the throttlebody/IAC i would greatly appreciate the help! How would i test the IAC also? Thanks in advance!!!!

Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodgeneon95
Hello there, i have a 1995 dodge neon base with the 2.0L SOHC engine. I have recenty been having problems with the starting of the vehicle. I turn the key and it starts, but only for a moment until it dies. If i push the pedal in a bit, it stays running rough until it warms up and then runs fine. I tried plugs, wires, fuel filter and tossing a can of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. None of this has worked. My buddy told me to check the throttle body, warm that piece up a little bit and see if it starts good then. I will be testing that shortly, but first he told me to check the IAC, which is on the throttlebody i assume, just have no idea where abouts. The inside of the trottlebody was dirty with gummy brown residue, so i whiped it out as much as i could with a rag. Is there any free diagrams on how to remove this so i can clean it better? If anyone has pictures of the throttlebody/IAC i would greatly appreciate the help! How would i test the IAC also? Thanks in advance!!!!
If you take the tb (throttlebody) off you can clean it off with tb or carb cleaner real well. You COULD do it while its on the car but then all of that gunk is washing down into your intake, so not the best idea.

The IAC would be a good place to start. I would definitely clean it off real well (including the connector) and see if it moves. They generally don't move much, but if it moves at all it should be ok.

Do you have any vacuum leaks? That could lead to issues idling.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:01 PM
dodgeneon95
Default Running probs

Ok that sounds good, i will try to clean out the TB and the IAC. Nah it doesnt have any vacuum leaks *checked that first* hehe Thanks! Would you know where i could get some how to's on the throttle body to take it off, and same with the IAC? Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Old 01-31-2011, 11:26 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by dodgeneon95
Ok that sounds good, i will try to clean out the TB and the IAC. Nah it doesnt have any vacuum leaks *checked that first* hehe Thanks! Would you know where i could get some how to's on the throttle body to take it off, and same with the IAC? Thanks in advance!

Jeff
The IAC and the TPS (throttle position sensor) both come off with the TB, you just have to unplug the wires to them and they will come off with the TB. Looking from the front of the TB (front of TB=front of car), the TPS is the one closest to you on the left and the IAC is the one on the back left. Take both off (very easy to do) and clean both really really well. If you can, with the IAC and TPS removed, soak the entire TB in cleaner fluid to make it easier to clean. Get a small toothbrush and a couple of fine pipe cleaners to get into the little channels. Just remember to remove the TPS and IAC BEFORE you soak it.

The TB comes off with by removing the air intake pipe from the air box, the two sensor connectors for the IAC and TPS, the TB side of the egr pipe (two bolts), 4 nuts on the TB itself, and the two hoses - all easily accessible.

It will be easier to do all of this if you go ahead and remove the battery and battery box from the car, but if you have small hands and patience, you CAN do it without removing the battery and box. I have to remove it. The battery is easy, the box requires that you remove one bolt from the front side, one bolt from the back side, remove the radiator to box support, and loosen the two bolts on the bottom so that you can slide it up and out.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 AM
durango12

probably o2 sensor or egr valve

Quick Reply: 1st gen 95 dodge neon running problems!