1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

95 Neon automatic no revese when cold.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:02 AM
terry s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Neon automatic no revese when cold.

140,000 miles, SOHC, transmission fluid looks & smels ok. It acts like it is in neutral until after it has warmed up. Once it has warmed up enough reverse will work. I am thinking maybe a seal or o-ring etc. has shrunk causing an internal fluid leak. I have had good luck in the past with Trans X sealing internal and external leaks caused by shrunken seals etc.

Does anyone know what migh tbe causing this problem?

Last edited by terry s; 02-12-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 AM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According the the transmission apply charts found in the shop manual, it's either the forward clutch (high/rev) or the Low/Rev ban servo. I hear a lot of things about the L/R servo failing. There's a couple ways to test this. Since the problem only occurs cold, park the car where you don't have to back up to go forward. Put trans in 1st gear and accelerate to say 20mph then let off the gas. If you don't have engine braking, then the L/R servo is most likely the culpret. If that's ok then next time you can take off cold, put trans in drive and accelerate normally and watch for a 2-3 shift. If you get a flair then the problem lies in the Forward clutch seals.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:04 AM
terry s

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
According the the transmission apply charts found in the shop manual, it's either the forward clutch (high/rev) or the Low/Rev ban servo. I hear a lot of things about the L/R servo failing. There's a couple ways to test this. Since the problem only occurs cold, park the car where you don't have to back up to go forward. Put trans in 1st gear and accelerate to say 20mph then let off the gas. If you don't have engine braking, then the L/R servo is most likely the culpret. If that's ok then next time you can take off cold, put trans in drive and accelerate normally and watch for a 2-3 shift. If you get a flair then the problem lies in the Forward clutch seals.
Thank you very much. We will check this out. It is a friend's car and when I drove it last night after replacing the starter I did not notice any problems as it shifted through the forward gears.

I will be gone all next week so can't work on it for a while but will send the owner this and have them try your suggestions.

Is the L/R servo or the forward clutch seals easily fixable by taking the transmission pan off?

Old 02-12-2011, 02:05 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forward clutch seals require trans rebuilt (so NO you can't get at them with the pan off). Servo is accessable from removal of the pan, but as I read you also need to drop the valve body.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:57 PM
terry s

Thanks again. I will see what we can figure out after next week.

Quick Reply: 95 Neon automatic no revese when cold.