weird revving problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 AM
fisichella
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird revving problem

hey guys

i have this weird problem, i dont know if u had it before,

see i have a 96 neon, nearly 2 years ago, after 13 years of service, it started to go wack, revving till 3000 or 4000 rpm, on idle it may stall, and this will happen anytime anywhere regardless of temp or weather, anyway, i searched the forum and found out this maybe idle motor problem, so i got me an original mopar idle motor "nearly 110$ !" and everything was fine again....till recently, it started doing it again !, so is it possible? i mean i merely used the new idle motor for a year ?

another thing, if am on neutral "its manual by the way" and i brake, it will rev till 1500, when i stop totally , it will immediately go back to the normal 1000 rpm, whats with that?

i read in the service manual that the idle motor will kick in in case the engine is cold, but the temp gauge shows the engine is at its normal operational temp, and what bugs me the most, is there is no fault code of any sort !!

so, any suggestions ?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:23 PM
fisichella

hey guys,
donno if anyone is interested but we figured it out today

apparently there is an earthing cable connecting the throttle body assembly to the chassis of the car, specifically above the cooling fan, if that cable is somehow loose or has any kind of deposits on it it will keep faulting, causing the idle motor to go wack !! so we simply cleaned it up and tightened it again, and voila , everything is fine again !!

another thing we noticed, i used to get knocking noises sometimes, and i feel the torque is not as good as before, so we made a small experiment and we changed the tps, it was like magic, the engine is smoother and all, but with one minor glitch, the car idles now at 1500 rpms, which screwed the fuel economy, so i guess the tps was not as new as the seller claimed !!

anyway, advice, get a new tps if u still have the original, only make sure its new !!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Planetburn

I've also been experiencing this. And its not been constant, but is frequent. I have a 95 dohc, and have found when I am coming to a stop (clutch to the floor in neutral) the car kind of purrs between 1000 rpms and 1500 rpms. When the car comes to a complete stop, it immediately returns to its normal idle. I was thinking maybe the Idle sensor, but its just got replaced. If anyone else is familiar with this, I too would appreciate some insight.

Quick Reply: weird revving problem