1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

EGR Valve problems....i think

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:30 PM
blairwyrick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post EGR Valve problems....i think

1995 dodge neon sohc

i just replaced cam sensor, and also cpk sensor, i am not sure if that has any correlation, but after replacing the cpk sensor i noticed i heard a hissing sound from my car when i accelerated, and when i shut the car off.

I opened the hood and pushed the throttle to see where the sound was coming from and it looks to be right from the egr valve, i can see it easily opening and closing, but it of course makes that noise, and it does not look to be coming from anywhere else, is it anything i should be concerned about? Because the car runs fine other than the sound, but then again i have not driven it much sense this has happened. so i do not know if there will be problems down the road or not.

Any thoughts or help is much appreciated!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:45 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

If your EGR valve was having problems functioning, your PCM would be registering error codes which are easy to access via the Dodge Key Dance (on-off three times quickly, then back to on to read the blink codes on the Check Engine Light (CEL), or by getting someone to hook up an OBD-II reader (almost any parts store will do it for free).

You may have a simple vaccuum leak in one or more of your lines. Check them first. The EGR is near the cam position sensor, so you may have damaged and/or knocked the EGR lines loose when changing it.

If you don't find any error codes, leaks to fix, the car is running fine, and you don't have a drop in gas mileage, then most likely you will be fine.

One other good place to check for the hissing that you hear may be the hose coming from the top of plastic oil separator box (behind the intake manifold) that attaches to the air intake hose (near the throttle body) from the air box. Another good place to check are the lines that goes into and out of the PCV valve. They sometimes dry out and crack and/or melt if they get too hot.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
blairwyrick

oh when i see it it most definitely is the egr valve i can see through that peep hole that it makes that noise when i accelerate.

i did not say before but there is no check engine light on

i will check the lines and see if that works. Thanks for the input!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 PM
blairwyrick
Talking

so i took the air filter hose off and took a look around the egr valve and the plastic part that has the wiring (not sure what it is called, but it is part of the egr valve) that is attached got unhooked from the tube that goes into the egr valve.

make sure ya pick up the plastic part, because i could not the small tubing otherwise!

hopefully that makes sense, anyways, all better now, thanks for the assistance and i hope this helps anyone else that may have this problem!

Quick Reply: EGR Valve problems....i think