1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

my 96 neon just stopped working on me while i was driving it. It was running smoothly

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:19 PM
advizo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 96 neon just stopped working on me while i was driving it. It was running smoothly

I was driving home from work, and my 96 dodge neon was driving and handling smoothly. Suddenly, the engine just died! When i pulled the car to the side of the road, i waited a few minutes to try to restart it, and it would not restart. Could this be a timing belt issue, and if so, would i have noticed anything different prior to the car stalling?

Old 07-13-2011, 03:28 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Stopped Running

A bad crankshaft position Sensor did this to my car, however after the engine cooled off it would restart and run for maybe 15 minutes. I would go by(if you get it started) an Auto Zone or Advance and get it coded if you live anywhere those stores are present.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:01 AM
99RTMAN

as long as your motor turns over normal it is not a timing issue. if it free spools its a snapped timing belt. try turning key to on position to hear for fuel pump. cam sensor can also have an effect.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:23 PM
yaesu

Hi My quit working while a was driving and never start after that, check cam-crank sensors, timing belt its ok, no spark no pulse on the injector. wonder whats going on!

Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by yaesu
Hi My quit working while a was driving and never start after that, check cam-crank sensors, timing belt its ok, no spark no pulse on the injector. wonder whats going on!

Check the Auto Shutdown Relay (ASR) and the Fuel Relay. If those two are OK, then check the fuel pump. No fuel pressure, no spark, no injector pulse.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 AM
DraftSloppyJoe

Mine did the same and it turned out that the ground cable was done zo, it wasnt copper anymore it was silver and green. when that ground cable heats up electricity cant pass through it as fast, hence the copper coating. when you try to start it does it turn over but doesnt run? if it does try replacing the ground cable.

Quick Reply: my 96 neon just stopped working on me while i was driving it. It was running smoothly