1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Neon with no power after lightning storm

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Muneyy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon with no power after lightning storm

We had a big lightning storm here last night and I'm thinking my car got hit by lightning, or it hit close enough to it to screw with the electrical system. I also forgot to do up the window, so if it wasn't lightning, im thinking there is some water where it shouldn't be.

I got in this morning and it did a couple clicks when I cranked it over, so I thought the battery might have been dead, so I hooked up the cables and waited for a minute or 2. When I tried again, nothing happened except the gas gauge moved up to 1/4. I tried the 4 ways, blinkers, wipers, and non of them worked. I tried cranking it again, this time it turned all the lights and everything on but there was a bug spark that came from the ground on the battery where the cables were attached.

I took the cables off after that (obviously) and turned the key and the radio turned on, and the blinkers would work. So i cranked it again, those all died. When I took the key out, I flipped the 4 ways on and when I did it there was a whining coming from the fuse box in the car. I pulled the 4 way fuse, and the whining stopped.

The car still wont run though. I haven't tested it with a volt-meter yet, but does anyone have any ideas how to get the car going again?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a known GOOD battery and try it, if she did take a lightning strike the battery would most likely take the brunt of it.

and just beacause a battery has 12V doent mean its good. you really nead to LOAD test it, to see if it can put out required AMPS

Quick Reply: Neon with no power after lightning storm