1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Neon Dies Going Down The Highway

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
96neon69
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon Dies Going Down The Highway

Okay well here is the short story, I had the brake lines replaced because I had a brake line leak. The Car sat for about 6 to 8 months without being drove because I couldn't get the cash together to get it fixed. Once I had the brake lines fixed and got the car back I was on my way home and it died. The gas was really low so I figured I might have ran out of gas. My buddy picked me up and we put some more gas in it, and it started up and I took off. We drove about another Mile to a Mile and a half, and it started bogging out really bad and then it'd keep going then bog really bad then it died. Parked it on the side of the road and we went and got my buddies truck and trailer and went back out to the car.

The car didn't start back up after it died the second time. It took us a half hour to get his truck and trailer and back out to the car. Once we got back out to the car and got the ramps and everything setup the car started just fine and drove right on the trailer. Got the car home backed it off the trailer and it ran fine. Drove it around town for 3 days no problems. Me and my wife decided we'd take it out last night and it drove perfectly fine until the engine warmed up. On the way home it started bogging out and dieing again. The guy that put my brake lines on said it sounds like the fuel filter. Meanwhile I'm throwing codes 11, 12, 43, and 44. I am really stumped on it and I hate to replace something or go out and spend more money on it then is needed.

Any Idea's at all for what could possibly be wrong with it.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:42 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Codes are:
11 Timing belt skipped 1 tooth or more from initial learned value, Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor, No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking

12 Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles

43 Multiple/ single cylinder misfire

44 Battery temp sensor volts out of range

Try and the car scanned to get the P codes. That will narrow down your possibilities. My guess would be a camshaft position sensor issue. Try pulling it, cleaning it up and making sure it has a good, clean connection.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM
96neon69
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the Suggestion cleaned it off, cleared the codes and now I'm just getting 12, and 44 and I've had those codes since I've got the car. So not too worried anymore. I will drive it around a bit and see what happens, not really wanting to take it out on the highway just yet. I was thinking last night after I cleaned it and got everything done and re-fired it back up that I heard it knocking but I'm not too sure.

It use to knock until it warmed up so not totally sure if it should be something to worry about.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will take the PCM about 50-100 miles to relearn the engine and sensors. So if it throws a code, it will be somewhere in that range most likely.

Make sure the battery sensor is plugged in. Thats the most likely cause.

Quick Reply: Neon Dies Going Down The Highway